Go Down

Topic: Murata sleep (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

sebbad

Hi!

I am trying to reduce the power consumption of the board when inactive. Using the ArduinoLowPower library it is quite easy to reduce the current draw of the SAMD, but when I try to set the radio to sleep (with the MKRWAN library sleep() function), it just returns false.

The lowest current draw I could achieve so far is 2 mA, but for battery operated applications it would be nice to get lower. Any ideas?

Tirititelu

Use function sleep() of ArduinoLora.h library --> https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-LoRa

thisismexx

Use function sleep() of ArduinoLora.h library --> https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-LoRa
Do you mean to use the just the sleep function from the library?

I am using the MKRWAN library as well, to be able to connect to TTN.

Tirititelu

I mean you use this library for everything if you want to sleep on the radio. With it you can also join the TTN network.

On the other hand, what consumption do you have with the MKR1300 ?. I can not get down to 18mAh by feeding the plate with 5V through the pin Vin.

NeilE

Likewise I can get the power usage down to about 1.7 - 1.8 mA using the sleep function. (It's the same result with deepsleep from the LowPower library) but I think that is because the SAMD only has idle and standby settings.

I have tried LoRa.h sleep function but it seems to have no effect on this as I still get about 1.7mA consumption.

I tried setting all the PINS to OUTPUT apart from 0 and 1 which I need as Interupts with this...

// try setting all pins to output to reduce power
 // for (int i=2; i<14; i++){pinMode(i, OUTPUT);}

but this just gives me a 3mA sleep mode, so worse.

Has anyone tried setting the registers directly to turn off the A2Ds?

Any suggestions appreciated, as I really want to get to the micro Amps.

Tirititelu

Likewise I can get the power usage down to about 1.7 - 1.8 mA using the sleep function. (It's the same result with deepsleep from the LowPower library) but I think that is because the SAMD only has idle and standby settings.

I have tried LoRa.h sleep function but it seems to have no effect on this as I still get about 1.7mA consumption.

I tried setting all the PINS to OUTPUT apart from 0 and 1 which I need as Interupts with this...

// try setting all pins to output to reduce power
 // for (int i=2; i<14; i++){pinMode(i, OUTPUT);}

but this just gives me a 3mA sleep mode, so worse.

Has anyone tried setting the registers directly to turn off the A2Ds?

Any suggestions appreciated, as I really want to get to the micro Amps.
With what voltage are you feeding the plate? Can you put the code?. As I said in my previous post I can not get down to 18 mA by feeding the plate through the Vin pin with 5V.

NeilE

I have been experimenting with sleep (deepSleep the same).

However if you leave PIN 11/12 as floating (i.e. dont set them to OUTPUT) my current drops to 1.16mA.

No idea why, just trial and error.

Can't seem to get better than that though. I suspect it is the muRata chip taking the power now rather than the SAMD.

Anyone managed to get below that yet?

sslupsky

Hi NeilE,

The extra current when you set pins 11 & 12 to OUTPUT and the pin level is 0 (ground) is due to external 4.7K pull up resistors on those pins (they are I2C pins).

Go Up