Go Down

Topic: Rotation counter with gyroscope / accelerometer (Read 125 times) previous topic - next topic

minimanimo

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for information about the feasibility of a project: basically I would like to build a device that counts the number of revolutions that a disk makes. However, it is necessary that the device is fixed on the same rotating disk.

Assuming there are no problems with connections, batteries etc... How feasible is this thing?
I have never worked with gyroscopes and accelerometers and looking on the internet I found only projects that use optical sensors but, as mentioned above, I need to count the number of revolutions with the counter device directly mounted on the rotating disc.

Thanks in advance.

Paul_KD7HB

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for information about the feasibility of a project: basically I would like to build a device that counts the number of revolutions that a disk makes. However, it is necessary that the device is fixed on the same rotating disk.

Assuming there are no problems with connections, batteries etc... How feasible is this thing?
I have never worked with gyroscopes and accelerometers and looking on the internet I found only projects that use optical sensors but, as mentioned above, I need to count the number of revolutions with the counter device directly mounted on the rotating disc.

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps more information will bring better answers. How will you device know it has made a revolution? How will that information get to the non-revolving world, or is that not necessary? What revolution rates are you contemplating? Is the revolution rate changing? IF it is not, the acceleration is zero.

Paul

minimanimo

Jul 12, 2018, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 11:00 pm by minimanimo
Perhaps more information will bring better answers. How will you device know it has made a revolution? How will that information get to the non-revolving world, or is that not necessary? What revolution rates are you contemplating? Is the revolution rate changing? IF it is not, the acceleration is zero.

Paul
Hello Paul, thanks for reply.

This is the point, I don't know if is possible to know the rotation made by the disk with a gyroscope/accelerometer.

My situation is like this:
https://youtu.be/N47ejk0Q74U

Assuming the device is the red box.
Is possible to get the number of rotation by applying and fixing the device on the disk?

Paul_KD7HB

I guess the gravity vector would be reversing every revolution, except if the plane of the disk is horizontal.

Paul

minimanimo

Could you write me more details on how to do it? Because right now is not very clear to me :smiley-confuse:

Thank you!

jremington

Jul 13, 2018, 01:56 am Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018, 02:09 am by jremington
An accelerometer attached to a rotating disk will report the centripetal acceleration in the radial direction, in addition to the acceleration due to gravity.

Think about standing on a rotating merry-go-round and feeling like being thrown outward.

Go Up