Go Down

Topic: What input device for that project? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

yan_g

Hello,

I need to find out how to turn an audio input signal into a binary value: 0 when the input signal is lower than a given threshold, and 1 when it is above or equal to that threshold.

I have no idea where to start :) Oh yes: what's the best input device for that project? I should do ok with the coding but I'm new to electronics so any hint would be welcome, links to related tutorials...

Thanks in advance!

bosleymusic

I need to find out how to turn an audio input signal into a binary value: 0 when the input signal is lower than a given threshold, and 1 when it is above or equal to that threshold.

Use the ADC, or Analog Input pins on Arduino. Any of them will work. You could then write a greater than statement to change a boolean state for when your signal is lower/higher than the threshold. You should also employ either half, or full wave rectifying for your signal in order to trace the envelope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_detector

I have no idea where to start smiley Oh yes: what's the best input device for that project? I should do ok with the coding but I'm new to electronics so any hint would be welcome, links to related tutorials...

The best device depends on the results you want to get - what are you actually trying to accomplish?

Go Up