Go Down

Topic: 3v3 SIPO problem (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic

wothke

Jul 31, 2018, 01:49 am Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 01:54 am by wothke
I am not sure which of the components is actually causing the problem but is seems to be SIPO related. I am already using a very similar design (that works flawlessly) in an earlier version of my device so the problem must be due to something that I changed in the new version.

The devices use 2 of those 5V 4-Relay modules (with built-in opto-couplers, etc) and I am using a SIPO (74HC595) to feed the 8 inputs that control the relays (0V activates the relay, 5V deactivates it).

My original device used a 5V ATMega128 or ATMega328P, i.e. everything was using the same 5V and it worked without a glitch (based on the experience with this device I'd guess that the 74HC595 outputs are strong enough to control the relay modules and I therefore guess that this should not be the problem here).

My current device is based on an ESP8266EX (3v3), i.e. I am using an additional level-shifter (one of those 12 pin PCBs that allow to bi-directionally shift 4 lines) for the CLK/LATCH/DATA lines to the SIPO. I already replaced the level-shifter and the SIPO and that did not resolve the problem. The pins I am using
are GPIO12-GPIO14 so I think that there should not be any limitations attached to them.

The device is powered via a 2A buck-converter that creates the 5V used in the device (starting from a 3A 12V DC power supply). I'd guess that should be enough to power everything (and it worked fine in the old device).

As a test I am using a simple sketch that activates one relay at a time and round-robin cycles through the 8 relais using 500ms pauses (see code below) ... I'd say half of the time this works as expected but some of the time instead of activating one particular relais, ALL 8 are simultaneously activated. This erroneous state may then be repeated for 1 or several steps before the relays are suddenly correctly activated again..
The time between correct/wrong activations seems to be totally random (i.e. there can be a streak on 80 correct activations and then it fails 20 times before it again works correctly - for a while).

I am currently not using any capacitors on either of the lines and I don't know if the ESP8266 pins (the ones that I am using) react differently to what I was used to from the ATMega* stuff..

Any ideas?

Code: [Select]

const int ValveDriver::sLatchPin = D7; // blue
const int ValveDriver::sClockPin = D6; // brown
const int ValveDriver::sDataPin = D5; // yellow
const int ValveDriver::sSelectVoltagePin = D0;

const int ValveDriver::sBurnOutDetectionPin = A0;

void ValveDriver::setupValveCtrlPins(void) {
//set 74HC595 shift register pins to output because they are addressed in the main loop
pinMode(ValveDriver::sLatchPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(ValveDriver::sDataPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(ValveDriver::sClockPin, OUTPUT);

pinMode(ValveDriver::sSelectVoltagePin, OUTPUT);
}

ValveDriver::ValveDriver(void) {
fNumValves = 8;

setupValveCtrlPins();

closeAllValves();
}

int ValveDriver::getNumberOfValves() {
return fNumValves;
}

void ValveDriver::closeAllValves(void) {
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sLatchPin, LOW);
shiftOut(ValveDriver::sDataPin, ValveDriver::sClockPin, MSBFIRST, 0xff);
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sLatchPin, HIGH);
}

void ValveDriver::powerUpValve(int whichPin) {
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sSelectVoltagePin, LOW);  // initially use 12V

// This method sends bits to the shift register 74HC595
byte bitsToSend = ~(1 << whichPin); // invert bits because LOW actually switches relay ON

digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sLatchPin, LOW); // turn off the output while you're shifting bits
shiftOut(sDataPin, ValveDriver::sClockPin, MSBFIRST, bitsToSend); // shift the bits out
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sLatchPin, HIGH);
}

void ValveDriver::sustainVoltage() {
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sSelectVoltagePin, HIGH); // fall back to 9V once the valve is active
}

void ValveDriver::resetVoltage() {
digitalWrite(ValveDriver::sSelectVoltagePin, LOW); // 12V default.. so that additional converter can be switched off
}

ValveDriver *driver;
int i= 0;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600); // Debugging only
driver= new ValveDriver();
}

// The loop function is called in an endless loop
void ICACHE_FLASH_ATTR loop()
{
delay(500);

driver->powerUpValve(i);

i= (i+1);
if (i == driver->getNumberOfValves()) i= 0;
}

MarkT

Jul 31, 2018, 11:50 am Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 11:53 am by MarkT
"SIPO" ?  Never heard that before.  Perhaps you should say "parallel output shift register" and people might understand you.

You never place capacitors on a logic line, that's a misprint in the guide that the originator
never cares to correct as far as I know. 

This sounds like an issue that needs a good 'scope to diagnose.  Just make sure all the devices
are getting the right supply voltage, and _crucially_ every chip has decoupling.  This is mandatory
for all logic circuits and lack of decoupling can have completely strange and confusing effects...
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

wothke

This sounds like an issue that needs a good 'scope to diagnose.  Just make sure all the devices
are getting the right supply voltage, and _crucially_ every chip has decoupling.  This is mandatory
for all logic circuits and lack of decoupling can have completely strange and confusing effects...
My two multi-meters cannot even agree on the same voltage ... ;-) I first tried your "decoupling" hint - eventhough I probably don't know how to do that properly: I just added a 0.1uF ceramic cap on both supply sides of my level-shifter (I had read about the additional 10uF but I currently don't have any of those in my parts box..) - but that did not make any difference.

I then verified if the effect might be esp8266 specific - it isn't and I got the exact same problem when using a 3v3 ATMega328P instead.

Finally I did find a workaround by playing with the 74HC595N's MR pin ("Master Reclear, active low"): According to my old schematics I had left this pin unconnected in my older designs (I did not verify it, so
that might just be an inconsistency in the schematics).. though what I found in my new 3v3 device is that the problem accurs when this pin is unconnected or connected to GND. As soon as I connected it to 5V the problem disappeared.

Go Up