Go Down

Topic: ESP32 works powered by USB but reboots from power supply (Read 12120 times) previous topic - next topic

kasi0815

In having the same issue and it's driving me nuts  :smiley-confuse:  :smiley-confuse:  :smiley-confuse:  Project works perfectly on USB, but connect a 5v/1A power supply to VIN and GND and I'm getting resets at WiFi initiation.
I strongly recommend the use of a "stronger" power supply. I would test it with at least 5V / 2A. The Wifi part of the esp32 requires a lot of power, but in short peaks. I have seen very similar results to those you have described. A capacitor of 470µF or better 1000µF can support you additionally.

TimeOuttaMind

I had a similar problem this afternoon.  I have a board which uses the ESP32P-DEVKITC-32D-F, which my customer tells me is the only version of these ESP32 boards that can be used industrially in Japan.  This one is directly sold by Espressif.  However, I am not using the WiFi right now, so I assume I don't need the 470 to 1000uF.  I only have 22uF on my 3.3V supply on my main board.

My main board with this  ESP32 board mounted on it won't start with the my board main supply by itself.  I have connect the USB cable and start the Arduino IDE and at least do a Serial Monitor.

Solved it just now by putting a 1uF cap to ground on the EN pin which on this module is pin 37, next to 3.3V at pin 38.  My clue was I could touch the EN pin to ground momentarily and I would get start-up.

I do not supply any 5V to my ESP32 board at all, and supplying it did not help with the startup. Now it starts-up with just my board main supply.

TimeOuttaMind

I had a similar problem this afternoon.  I have a board which uses the ESP32P-DEVKITC-32D-F, which my customer tells me is the only version of these ESP32 boards that can be used industrially in Japan.  This one is directly sold by Espressif.  However, I am not using the WiFi right now, so I assume I don't need the 470 to 1000uF.  I only have 22uF on my 3.3V supply on my main board.

My main board with this  ESP32 board mounted on it won't start with the my board main supply by itself.  I have connect the USB cable and start the Arduino IDE and at least do a Serial Monitor.

Solved it just now by putting a 1uF cap to ground on the EN pin which on this module is pin 37, next to 3.3V at pin 38.  My clue was I could touch the EN pin to ground momentarily and I would get start-up.

I do not supply any 5V to my ESP32 board at all, and supplying it did not help with the startup. Now it starts-up with just my board main supply.

milika

I just wire gnd to usb shield and now works perfectly from external power.
Seems there is a component between board gnd and usb gnd...

Go Up