Go Down

Topic: Good Quality Breadboards? (Read 2316 times) previous topic - next topic

MarkT

Hi All

Circuit bugs - poor connections, etc, within my breadboards - are costing me such a lot of time and heartache.

QUESTION: How can I find good quality breadboards? How do I know what is good quality? Who supplies them?
Without really good closeup photos you can't tell without handling them - I can personally recommend
the K&H AD-series breadboards, they have 6 tiepoints per strip, not 5, and thats really really useful, and the holes are
round and the springs shaped for leads, definitely good ones.
IDEAS: Can you help me with some ideas?
That's a rather broad question!  Can you be more specific?
Look forward to your replies

Thans in advance
EGB

[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

PaulRB

I can personally recommend the K&H AD-series breadboards, they have 6 tiepoints per strip
Ah, those are the ones Maplin used to sell that I was recommending earlier in the thread. They were sold in Maplin branded packing, so I did not know the manufacturers name until now, thanks!

https://www.kandh.com.tw/products_2.php?prod=67&gid=2

polymorph

The best protoboards I have are the oldest, bought at Radio Shack in the late '70s and early '80s. I've bought a number of them recently that are junk. Loose connections abound.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

brockrwood

I have to chime in here.  Low quality breadboards drive me nuts.  It is hard to design and troubleshoot a circuit, especially if there is a steep learning curve or there is the need to learn new math to build the circuit.  If you cannot rely on your breadboard to have tight, reliable connections, and low resistance between connected holes, you never know if a problem you encounter is caused by the breadboard or by YOU!  ;-)

Cheap, no-name breadboards are attractive because of their low price until you try to use them and realize that half of the boards cannot be trusted.  The low-quality breadboards can make a circuit that ought to work either work intermittently or not at all.

That being said, I have found that by paying just a few extra dollars, I can obtain breadboards that I can generally rely upon.  I have found that the breadboards with the model number, "ZY-201", available on ebay, work well and cost less than $10 each.  I suspect that all "ZY-201" breadboards are made in one factory somewhere and then are re-sold by various vendors on ebay and through other channels.

The ZY-201 breadboards come with a metal frame, rubber feet, and three banana-style terminals.  Sometimes the rubber feet do not stick and I have to use some cyanoacrylate glue to get them to stay on.  This is a minor annoyance for an otherwise good breadboard available at a low cost.

- Brock

dl324

Jun 12, 2019, 10:04 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 10:05 pm by dl324
How can I find good quality breadboards? How do I know what is good quality? Who supplies them?
I've been using solderless breadboards for over 40 years and haven't had much problem with them.  I've even bought some of the cheap ones from AliExpress and most of them are decent quality.

I've had a cube prototype on some 3M boards for almost a year now.  Have moved the board a number of times and haven't had any problems.  If wires get disconnected, you use standard troubleshooting techniques to isolate the problem.

PaulRB

Jun 13, 2019, 12:02 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 12:02 am by PaulRB
Ah! My cube was also on breadboard for a short while.

Go Up