Go Down

Topic: Port recognition (Read 252 times) previous topic - next topic

ShawnMuller

I can not find a port under the tools in the Arduino software. The arduino is functioning and I was able to upload code to a computer that had a COM1 port recognized. Why does my computer not recognize the arduino plugged into the USB port in the Arduino Software? Also my computer runs Windows 10.

sterretje

So you could upload using another computer?

First step is to check what happens in Windows device manager when you connect/disconnect. It should show up and disappear there. If nothing happens, you might have a bad cable or you might have damaged your board. You can check the latter by trying to upload again on the computer that you used before to succesfully upload.

If something happens but you don't have a new com port in device manager, you might need a driver; this is usually the case if you have a clone with the CH340 ttl-to-usb chip.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Iain_Andrew

You may need to install USB to UART Bridge VCP drivers on your machine. You can download the drivers here. After installing the drivers, restart the Arduino IDE.

weronity

Aug 30, 2018, 06:19 am Last Edit: Aug 30, 2018, 06:22 am by weronity
So you could upload using another computer?

First step is to check what happens in Windows device manager when you connect/disconnect. It should show up and disappear there. If nothing happens, you might have a bad cable or you might have damaged your board. You can check the latter by trying to upload again on the computer that you used before to succesfully upload.

If something happens but you don't have a new com port in device manager, you might need a driver; this is usually the case if you have a clone with the CH340 ttl-to-usb chip.
I have a similar problem with my Due on win7.

In the device manager its detected as "unknown device".

installing drivers manually (by the official 'getting started' guide) didnt help, because after specifying the path to drivers folder, device manager just says "this device does not need a driver"(or something like that) and closes.

Same with ch340 driver - when clicking INSTALL it says "driver is successfully pre-installed in advance", then "there is no device connected", even tho the arduino IS connected all this time

tried 2 different PCs (both running win7) and different cables. Its exactly the same in all cases

Go Up