Go Down

Topic: What's a good small ultrasonic sensor? (Read 2052 times) previous topic - next topic

incompletemission

Hi! I was looking for ultrasonic sensors like the HC-SR04 but ones that are quite small. I found quite a few, but they seem to cost $20~35, unlike a generic HC-SR04 which is under $10. I'm making multiple iterations of my project and it would be nice to save money while doing so.

Basically, I need an ultrasonic sensor under $20. I don't need accuracy or a long range. Any suggestions? Thank you.

PaulS

but ones that are quite small.
Define "quite small".
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

bos1714

Hello there!

I have used the APDS9960 sensor for several months and it is fairly decent. It is a combination of directional IR, color, and proximity sensors that can work for several projects. I am not sure what you are trying to use the ultrasonic sensor for, but perhaps the apds9960 can act in the interim. The sensor is a 3.3V board, so you may need logic level converting to control it, depending on what board you have. Give the link above a read and let me know what you think.
Time line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

vinceherman

unlike a generic HC-SR04 which is under $10.
You are shopping wrong.  :-D
Go look at https://www.aliexpress.com
They have the HC-SR04 in the $0.75 range.

incompletemission

Define "quite small".
A small footprint. Basically half of a generic HCSR04.

Hello there!

I have used the APDS9960 sensor for several months and it is fairly decent. It is a combination of directional IR, color, and proximity sensors that can work for several projects. I am not sure what you are trying to use the ultrasonic sensor for, but perhaps the apds9960 can act in the interim. The sensor is a 3.3V board, so you may need logic level converting to control it, depending on what board you have. Give the link above a read and let me know what you think.
That looks pretty good. Do you know the range for it?

You are shopping wrong.  :-D
Go look at https://www.aliexpress.com
They have the HC-SR04 in the $0.75 range.
Oh nice. Thanks for the bookmark!

bos1714

I am not sure as to the range. Sparkfun lists the range of the sensor to be from 4 to 8 inches, but from my experience, that range is horsepucky. I would take a look at the datasheet from the company to see if it can answer any questions.
Time line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

nielyay

Hello,
I need an ultrasonic sensor under $20
why dont you make DIY ultasonic? without it module, but just use the reciever parts from it.

Go Up