Go Down

Topic: 8mhz smd clock source ATtiny841 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

DrAzzy

I remove power and unplug the nRF24 whenever uploading the sketch via ISP. Have to in order to access the ICSP pins. Upload sketch, unplug programmer from board (I use Pogo pins), plug in nRF24 module and then apply power from a separate 3.3v supply capable of providing the juice the nRF24 module requires.
Now *this* is weird!

Try putting a delay(1000) in setup before the first call that talks to the NRF24 - I'm trying to think of ways it could make a difference, and the only one I can think of is that the sketch is trying to talk to the NRF24 before it has finished booting up, and it's not ready to accept commands. And when the bootloader is present, there's a short delay on startup while the bootloader runs, before the sketch starts.
ATTinyCore and megaTinyCore for all ATtiny, DxCore for DA/DB-series! github.com/SpenceKonde
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

drummin89

Ok. I will try that when I get a chance to play.

drummin89

Aug 17, 2018, 01:43 pm Last Edit: Aug 17, 2018, 01:50 pm by drummin89
Well I tried the delay. Even put it up to 5 seconds and still was not getting any communication out of the nRF24 when uploading my sketch via ISP. Then it dawned on me. When I've been using the bootloader and uploading my sketch via serial, I was powering my board via the 3.3v FTDI basic from SparkFun because then I would enable the serial print messages. For some reason I didn't think to do this (enable the serial print messages) when not using the bootloader. So I did and this time my board was powered by the FTDI basic and everything was working just fine.

Switch to my separate 3.3v power supply and the nRF communication would stop. I feel really stupid because on my other thread, Robin2 mentioned that they had heard of issues powering the nRF modules with a buck converter. I even tried a different 3.3v power supply with the same failed result so that is what lead me to believe it was not power related. I was using the recommended caps as well located as close to the nRF port on my board as possible.

My original plan was to use a 1 cell lipo, but I wanted to be able to supply the board with a constant 3.3v across the lipos usable voltage output (3v-4.2v) so I was trying to use a 3.3v buck-boost converter. Then when it was mentioned about the power supply, on the bench I was trying to use one of those adjustable output power supplies . I just found it hard to believe both would not provide clean enough power for the nRF module, but I guess I was wrong.

Now I am looking at just powering my board with 2 AA or AAA batteries.

So I am sorry for making you question if there are issues with your core. Thank you for your help, if it wasn't for you asking these questions I probably wouldn't have thought to try what I did and still would of been getting frustrated. Now I can continue on with my project!

xnox

Hello,

Has anyone used the CSTCE8M00G15L99 (8M) resonator with the Atmega328p?

The built-in capacitor is 33pf and the datasheet of 328 only speaks of is up to 22pf (with crystal) ...

Does it work?

Thank you

Go Up