Go Down

Topic: I2C GPS Shield (Read 3917 times) previous topic - next topic

wayneft

Well after several months of designing... my I2C GPS Shield is almost ready for release.

It features access to most of the common NMEA data such as longitude, latitude, time, date, speed, course, etc.. It also features optional external interrupts to let the user know when new data is available, 3D fix and or valid data available.  The GPS engine is programmable to an update rate of 10 Hz and also has an optional CR2032 battery holder on the underside of the board to maintain GPS data for a long time. 

It is compatible with high speed mode (400kHz) I2C and uses an active logic level converter so there is no need for external pullup resistors.  The user also has the option of streaming the serial data out to the Arduino if they choose. 

I'll have more details available later, if anyone is interested, as I still finishing up the firmware.  I'm going to add the option of saving the configuration in EEPROM so it's not lost after power down.

wayneft

TonyD

It looks a well designed board. Looking forward to seeing more details on it.

wayneft

The first batch is finally done and available on my website.  I had to scrap the idea of saving the configuration to EEPROM.  I was also able to minimze the delays with retrieving the data (initially you needed a 1ms delay before requesting data) and now all 32 bytes of GPS data can be downloaded in about 340 microseconds in 100 kHz I2C mode and something like 90 microseconds in 400 kHz mode. 

mowcius

340microseconds...

That's pretty decent :)

mowcius

I received my shield today - testing is in progress :)

The price seems pretty decent to me considering the rather impressive specs and the fact it has an atmega328 on board.
10Hz with a position accuracy of up to 3.5m is rather better than most modules.

retrolefty

I'm going to have to see what my hobby fund can afford. Not sure I have a GPS application in mind but would sure like to think about that and try and justify getting one of these.

Lefty

Go Up