Go Down

Topic: Updating IDE (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic

peter8337

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find an answer:

I've just upgraded the Aduino IDE to the latest release.  I now wish to delete the earlier version as it is a large program occupying lots of memory and is essentially redundant.  However when I try to delete the earlier version I get a prompt telling me if I go ahead it will also delete all my existing sketches.

How can I upgrade to the latest IDE, and delete the old version without loosing my old sketches?

Thank you
Peter

pert

Are you sure that's what the prompt says? When I run the uninstaller, I get this message:
Warning: All existing files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino will be deleted. This includes files and folders present before or added since you installed the Arduino software.
That message is absolutely accurate (C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino being the Arduino IDE installation folder on my computer). This is why you should never install anything to the Arduino IDE's installation folder (even though you will find 3rd party tutorials that tell you to do just this). However, uninstalling the Arduino IDE will not affect your sketchbook or any other sketch files you have saved anywhere on your computer as long as you didn't save those files under the Arduino IDE installation folder. So if you have saved any files to the Arduino IDE installation folder (or modified any of the existing files in that folder), and you don't want to lose that work, then you must save it to another location on your computer before you uninstall.

Go Up