Soldering Option help

polymorph:
I would NOT assume that the Weller WLC100 does it "the right way", just because Weller also has better irons. It has a dial labeled only in a few numbers.

Uh oh, did I just get into the electrical engineers version of Ford VS Chevy? lol

polymorph:
"Variable power control dial adjusts performance from 5-Watts to 40-Watts for accuracy"

In addition, although the base is grounded, the soldering pencil that comes with it is not. Not a good idea with modern MOSFET and CMOS circuitry. Quite a bad idea, in fact.

I noticed that as well. Just a shot in the dark here, but could someone add a ground if they felt it necessary?

polymorph:
And I've seen a lot of cheap irons with good reviews. Have you read the Amazon reviews? Often, they received it, it looked shiny, so they left a 5 star review without using it or after only soldering a few joints. And if you've never used a good soldering iron, will you be able to tell?

right, not to mention those getting paid for said review. It's hard to know where to look to find an honest review, but amazon isn't it. Even when I check some DIY or electrical blogs, I'm never 100% sure they don't have some hidden motive to bump it up a couple stars.

polymorph:
I've used a lot of crappy irons in my career. Just about every place I've worked, I've been contract labor and had to buy my own equipment. I've come to the conclusion that sometimes you =can= blame your tools, and that cheap tools are expensive in the end.

Been there... I can't tell you how many times I had to run (okay walk) to buy a socket from the auto parts store after breaking one from a china kit when working on my truck... That is if I was lucky and didn't round the head off first. Back then my screw extractor kit never left my toolbox. Then I turned 18 and I started getting old lol Okay Maybe old isn't the right word, but my shoulders were worn out (thanks Ehlers Danlos syndrome)and I couldn't handle the physical work all the time.

Sometimes I miss mechanical work, but my Buick was kind enough to blow a brake line in the worst possible place, so I've been playing with that for a couple weeks SMH I don't miss it anymore