Go Down

Topic: How to Control 4 step motors together  (Read 307 times) previous topic - next topic

FeAlmeida

Hello, I have an idea in my mind and part of this idea is control 4 step motos together.
Is it possible do this with only arduino uno or is necessary a shield?
Thanks

Robin2

Sep 15, 2018, 09:56 am Last Edit: Sep 15, 2018, 09:58 am by Robin2
Yes it is perfectly possible.

If the current required by the motors is within the capability of a Pololu DRV8825 stepper driver (about 1.7 amps) then you could use a CNC shield or a RAMPS shield.

For motors that require more current I don't believe there is any convenient shield available, but the stepper drivers could certainly be controlled by an Arduino.

If you want more advice please describe the project you want to create.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

FeAlmeida

Sep 15, 2018, 05:34 pm Last Edit: Sep 15, 2018, 05:36 pm by FeAlmeida
Thanks for answer my question @Robin2...
next steps > draw my idea, read your answer 10 times and try.
Regards Fernando.

jremington

You will probably need a suitable motor driver for each motor.

Please explain what you mean by "control 4 step motors together". Will they all move in exactly the same way, or will each do different things?

rpt007

To ease the coding for controlling 4 motors in one application you want to have a look at the AccelStepper library which can handle multiple steppers in one go.
Before you ask:
Did you really read and understand How to use this forum ?
AND:
Do you have already some solution or is a part of the problem sitting in front of the screen?  :)

Robin2

To ease the coding for controlling 4 motors in one application you want to have a look at the AccelStepper library which can handle multiple steppers in one go.
That depends on whether the OP needs to co-ordinate the movements of the motors so they all start and stop at the same instant. The AccelStepper library cannot do that. The MulitStepper library can, but it does not use acceleration.

For co-ordinated movement with acceleration you have to roll-your-own code - it's not very difficult.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

FeAlmeida

I would like create a simple elevator/ Lift with up and down buttons.

Robin2

I would like create a simple elevator/ Lift with up and down buttons.

You need to tell us more.

My vision of an elevator would just need one motor.

How about making a simple drawing of your project and posting a photo of the drawing. See this  Simple Image Guide

...R

Go Up