Go Down

Topic: tools-> serial port greyed out. servo problem? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

fgdowns

i recently got my arduino uno and it worked fine for a while, able to upload sketches and everything
then, when playing around with the sweep servo example, i pushed the servo arm with my fingers it freaked out and turned all the way to the right and stayed there
now, when i connect the arduino the the computer, the serial port menu is greyed out
what do i do?

retrolefty

i recently got my arduino uno and it worked fine for a while, able to upload sketches and everything
then, when playing around with the sweep servo example, i pushed the servo arm with my fingers it freaked out and turned all the way to the right and stayed there
now, when i connect the arduino the the computer, the serial port menu is greyed out
what do i do?

This is just a guess. When you manual turned the servo wheel you caused the servo to draw lots of current to try and correct the situation and drive the wheel back to it's commanded position. Normally the on-board USB polyfuse prevents the board from drawing more then the USB 500ma max specification. However it is not a fast acting fuse so your PC may have blown an internal USB fuse. Again that's just one speculation, but it sounds like your PC no longer recognized the arduino connection when you plug it in to the PC, so that is my guess. And easy test is to plug in a USB memory stick or other USB device you might have into that USB port and see if the PC recognize it. That is prove independently that the PC's USB port is still functioning.

Now maybe you can try the arduino on a different USB port/controller on your PC or better yet a different PC.

In the future you should consider powering servos from a independent voltage source rather then directly from the arduino board.

Lefty

fgdowns

alright i tried switching usb ports, my mouse still works on the port that my arduino was in and my arduino still doesnt work with the port that my mouse was on
now im copying the arduino files to a memory stick to try it on a different computer and see what happens there

fgdowns

ok so the usb port on my computer still works but when i plug the arduino into another computer, it doesnt even say "new hardware found" or show up on the device manager
when i plug it in, the green led goes on and the pin 13 led still flashes when i press the reset button if thats useful or relevant
what the heck is going on?

spycatcher2k

Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

fgdowns

Try following this :

http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

Hope it helps

i go through the steps but my computer and the flip program still cant find the arduino after i connect the pads on the back and reset it
im getting pretty frustrated with this now

fgdowns

ive tried a bunch of things to get it to work, i know that my usb port still works and i switched out my usb cable so that isnt the problem
the power led still lights up green when i plug it in and the yellow led13 still flashes when i press the reset button
im not sure if it is the atmega chip thats broken or something else that fried because of the high amperage
i really need this to work for a school project so im wondering if i should consider buying another board.

Go Up