Go Down

Topic: Replicated Prototypes using Music Maker Shields, but giving Different Audio Out (Read 395 times) previous topic - next topic

psites

I have an application stack that uses a Mega 2560, an Adafruit Music Maker MP3 shield and an Ethernet 2 shield.  The Music Maker is connected to a Dayton Audio CE32A-4 1-1/4" 4 Ohm speaker. I have the speaker hooked up to a single channel on the Music Maker output connector.  The audio plays a stored MP3 files just fine and at a volume that is good for my application. 

So I thought I was set and built a second replicated unit.  Same hardware, same software.  For the second unit the volume level is significantly lower.  I thought, strange - maybe I have a bad amplifier circuit on the second Music Maker shield.

I swapped the Music Makers of the two prototypes and the volume levels followed the Music Maker shields.  I felt like this isolated the problem explicitly to the Music Maker shield so decided to purchase a third Music Maker.  After installing the third Music Maker I still get lower volume levels.  Unfortunately, the lower volume levels are not sufficient for my application. 

Questions -
1. Why would there be a difference in volume level from board to board?  (same hardware and same software).
2. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior?
3. Is the louder Music Maker shield the anomalous shield, perhaps?
4. Any suggestions for boosting the audio levels of the "lower volume" Music Maker shields?  I am programming the Music Maker for maximum output.  The shield has no trim pots or other adjustments for volume.
5. Any other suggestions for getting loud enough and consistent audio outputs?

Grumpy_Mike

3. Is the louder Music Maker shield the anomalous shield, perhaps?
No.

1. Why would there be a difference in volume level from board to board?  (same hardware and same software).
Because something is different that you are not spotting. Most likely bad connections. The boards are soldered to the header aren't they?
You are not using Solderless bread board are you?

Sorry not very helpful for you but you don't give us much else to go on without schematics or photographs.

MarkT

Are you calling the setVolume(l, r) method in the library?

Do you have the version(s) of the shield that can drive speakers, or only the one that can drive headphones?
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up