Go Down

Topic: Arduino IDE 1.8.7 fatal error: opening dependency file /dev/null.d:  (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

PhilipBusby

I am currently using Arduino IDE 1.8.5 and all is working well on Linux mint 19 64bit. I use the IDE for Arduino and for Piduino (Rasp Pi), as it is a very well-made, useful and convenient IDE.

I have installed Arduino IDE 1.8.7 alongside but each time I try to compile a sketch that works, compiles and uploads fine on 1.8.5, I get the error "<built-in>:0:0: fatal error: opening dependency file /dev/null.d: Permission denied"

I have spent a lot of time trying to search the internet forums for others with the same problem, but find very little that helps. It seems to be okay with sudo arduino (run from the root home folder), but then I get lots of issues with "error: 'string' does not name a type", which I do not get with 1.8.5.

I will forget about 1.8.7 for now and use the 1.8.5, as there seems to be no clear advantage with the upgrade for me.

Can I assist anyone interested in resolving this with some troubleshooting feedback?

Unreal_2009

Hi
I have problem on windows.
My project compile without problems on 1.8.5

On 1.8.7 I get diffrent errors every time, when I compile project.
I return to 1.8.5 - all ok.

I think this same problems into IDE.

DrAzzy

OP - what are the permissions on that file? Can you do

ls -l /dev/null*

And post results here?

Hi
I have problem on windows.
My project compile without problems on 1.8.5

On 1.8.7 I get diffrent errors every time, when I compile project.
I return to 1.8.5 - all ok.

I think this same problems into IDE.
1.8.7 works fine for me, post the full text of any and all errors (always do this when pisting a technical questions, anywhere!) so that we can assist you.

For future reference, you should have posted in a new thread (do not go post a new thread, as that would violate rules against crossposting). The only similarity between your problem and OP's problem is that it happened on the same version. Youre using windows, while his problem is a very linuxy issue.

Both of you: use code tags when posting error messages
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

PhilipBusby

DrAzzy, Apologies for the delay, but I was not auto-notified of your reply.

Code: [Select]

ls -l /dev/null*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Oct 17 14:11 /dev/null

Go Up