Upload hangs - MKR Vidor 4000

I'm a newbie with Arduino, but experienced with FPGA's.

I purchased an MKR Vidor and tried to go through the installation instructions. I have a Windows 7 OS and I'm not sure the drivers were installed correctly. However, the IDE recognizes the board and port.

I try the uploading the blink example and it hangs. Here is the message:

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino MKR Vidor 4000"

Sketch uses 10820 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM6
PORTS {COM3, COM4, COM6, } / {COM3, COM4, COM6, } => {}
Uploading using selected port: COM6
C:\Users\fphiggins\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.7.0-arduino3/bossac.exe -i -d --port=COM6 -I -U true -i -e -w C:\Users\FPHIGG~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_478261/Blink_fph.ino.bin -R
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

The final error message line does not appear until several minutes into the upload. I'm assuming it timed out.
The hardware is blinking a red led at 1 second intervals (this is not from the software being correctly uploaded).
The IDE version is: 1.8.7
The SAMD beta board version is: 1.6.24

What can I do to debug this?
Thanks,
Frank Higgins

this is a SAMD issue. the USB is handled by the MCU. if it is busy with some wrong sketch, it doesn't handle the port. the trick is jumping to bootloader, which can handle the upload. you jump to bootloader by doubleclicking the reset button on board

As Juraj suggested but with an extra step.

Once in bootloader mode (which should appear on another COM port) upload either the BLINK or the BARE MINIMUM example sketches to clear the old sketch.

ballscrewbob:
As Juraj suggested but with an extra step.

Once in bootloader mode (which should appear on another COM port) upload either the BLINK or the BARE MINIMUM example sketches to clear the old sketch.

It will not help if you need to debug where your sketch hangs :slight_smile:

It will not help if you need to debug where your sketch hangs :slight_smile:

If it is HUNG and there is no debug output involved then it clears the way for a new copy of the sketch with some form of debug output.

No point throwing the old sketch back at the board.
It also freshens the board etc. so it should go back to its proper COM port.

ballscrewbob:
If it is HUNG and there is no debug output involved then it clears the way for a new copy of the sketch with some form of debug output.

No point throwing the old sketch back at the board.
It also freshens the board etc. so it should go back to its proper COM port.

? I upload a modified debugged sketch of course. There is nothing to clear. The double reset goes back to proper COM port. I hit Upload, I see it has problems, make the double reset and the Upload finishes successful.

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I have not been able to get back to it until today, and the double click reset put it in the bootloader mode - and I was able to load various sketches.

I've been working from the Arduino Getting Started page, and nothing is mentioned there about how to put it in the boot load mode. Maybe everyone already knows that and I'm suffering from being an Arduino newbie.

I would have expected that the Blink sketch would have included a default bootloader since it doesn't use the USB port - and that the port would be looking for some load command to jump to the bootloader.

In any case, thanks for your help. I will continue exploring this device.

I read it here Arduino MKR ZERO (I2S bus & SD for sound, music & digital audio data) — Arduino Official Store