Go Down

Topic: 5V control I/O, to turn on off a 9V source (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic

the_julle

Hi All.

I want to use an Arduino I/O pin running a 5V, to turn on and off for a 9V source.
How can that be achieved the easiest?

I guess I cannot use a transistor, due to the difference in voltage.
Alex.

adwsystems

Oct 12, 2018, 01:25 pm Last Edit: Oct 12, 2018, 01:25 pm by adwsystems
Wired properly and selected appropriately, a transistor would work. Also, a relay, optoisolator, and MOSFETS would also work. Just remember that you can't run a relay directly from the Arduino pins, it requires a driver circuit of some sort (either ULN2003/2803, transistor, or optoisolator); and there are single relay boards available for pennies on eBay, etc.

LandonW

Yes you can use a transistor if it's rated. You can use a transistor to control another transistor.  You can use a MOSFET style transistor or even an SSR.   
Either way is fine just make sure they are rated for what ever amperage they will be passing (I go about 10% over) you may need a heat sink too.

Paul__B

Oh dear, one of those questions again - sort of "XY Problem".  :smiley-eek:

Look, don't waste people's time answering meaningless questions.  Tell us what you want to do.

6v6gt

You could use a circuit similar to this which was intended to use a 3.3v arduino pin to switch on a 5v amplifier. AmpSw is the arduino pin and +5v (in your case +9v) is for the circuit to be switched.

wvmarle

I want to use an Arduino I/O pin running a 5V, to turn on and off for a 9V source.
How can that be achieved the easiest?

I guess I cannot use a transistor, due to the difference in voltage.
That is routinely done using a transistor - assuming that 9V is DC. I do the same routinely for switching a 12V device with a 3.3V signal. Normally switching low side; high side is possible as well but needs a few more components.

Use a TRIAC if AC.

Did you even try a Google search for this question? Or is there something special about your situation that you forgot to mention?
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Paul__B

Oct 14, 2018, 07:16 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 07:17 am by Paul__B Reason: Spelling!
More people's time wasted, and no reply in over 36 hours.

:smiley-roll:

I work on the concept - until and unless the OP engages in discussion, we have no idea what (s)he is up to, don't waste the breath!

Go Up