Go Down

Topic: Recommend a C++ book (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dougp

Oct 12, 2018, 05:10 pm Last Edit: Dec 31, 2018, 07:57 pm by dougp Reason: Add 'C++' to title
I got from the library  C++ for dummies and Problem Solving with C++.
They're OK but so many of the examples are filled with 'cout', etc. that the principle being discussed is sometimes obscured (for me anyway).

Also, some of the subjects are broken up and scattered throughout the chapters - hard to follow.
And, since I have to return them I can't mark them up as I otherwise might.

I know there are a gazillion webpages and YT videos out there but I prefer dead trees.

Anyone got a recommendation for a clearly laid out text?
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

westfw

It difficult to find a c++ text that isn't "desktop programming" oriented.

dougp

It difficult to find a c++ text that isn't "desktop programming" oriented.

Yes.  I did try out 'Embedded C programming and the Atmel AVR' but there's more hardware focus than I'm interested in right now.
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

ChrisTenone

My two favorite Arduino books are Beginning C for Arduino by Jack Purdum and Programming Arduino Next Steps by Simon Monk.

There are other very good books, but these pack a lot of usable information, and it's all applicable to Arduino.
What, I need to say something else too?

dougp

There are other very good books, but these pack a lot of usable information, and it's all applicable to Arduino.
Thanks!  I'll check them out.

Robin2

If you are focused on Arduinos then have a look at Arduinos for Dummies. I have only glanced through it in a bookshop but I had Sailing for Dummies years ago and found it really excellent.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dougp

ChrisTenone

I have Unix for Dummies sitting on my shelf, and it's not really for dummies at all. Very thorough. When my girlfriend started teaching 7th and 8th grade math, she got Middle School for Dummies - indispensable!

I heartedly recommend any of the 'For Dummies' series, they are well organized, and sprinkled with bits of humor that can make even the driest subject (Unix, Junior High, etc.) tolerable.
What, I need to say something else too?

Robin2

IIRC correctly one of the authors of Sailing for Dummies has an Olympic Bronze medal and the other author was crew (navigator?) on the USA Americas Cup boat.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dougp

Well, after reading a lot of reviews and blurbs I settled on C++ Primer Plus, by Steven Prata, as the first title in my collection.  Santa was generous and produced one.

I'm satisfied.  Unexpectedly it's desktop oriented (sigh) but the examples are sufficiently focused on one point at a time and uncomplicated enough (at least so far) to follow what's being given in the text.  The progression of complexity seems about right with application to deeper concepts ahead mentioned but not cluttering or confusing the topic at hand.

A previous title I borrowed from the library, can't recall the name, had bits and pieces of classes and suchlike scattered throughout.  Some may find that helpful but it didn't work for me.

I'd recommend this title to one who, as I am, is in the shallow end of the C++ pool.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

dougp

A number of interesting looking selections there.  Thanks!

exiledyorkie

I recently downloaded a pdf of this. Only had a quick look so far but it seems decent, although I'm a massive noob to this programming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1449313876/?coliid=I2LW1UL3YPUVSQ&colid=1EBQGB93TNW9E&psc=0

Go Up