Go Down

Topic: ESP8266 Works as AP but won't join my AP (Read 242 times) previous topic - next topic

mattlogue

I am new to the ESP8266. I tried every darn example library and sketch and get errors on all of them. It will NOT join an AP, but it does fine creating it's own "AI-Thinker...". WiFi.status returns 4. Wifi shield says no shield installed. I have RX-TX crossed over properly and it's powered off 3.3V although I don't have a LLS. I wish to join the current AP I have. I am certain the SSID and pass are correct.

Just because I live in the states don't mean I care

pylon

What firmware is on the ESP8266?

Wifi shield says no shield installed.
How does the Wifi shield come into that equation? Are we talking about a Wifi shield or an ESP8266?

mattlogue

Shield is a test part of Wifi.h. As far as firmware I don't know, I lack a FTDI adapter so I can't flash it, it is factory set.

99.9999% of users use these discretely and flash them. I am the one fool thinking I could talk to it thru my Unos and Megas. It was blind ambition to hope it would plug n play, as some sites suggested.

I wish to get the Unos to talk to eachother, communicate "events" that happen in that particular region, felt WiFi was good as any approach...

Thanks- it's probably incompatible F/W.
Just because I live in the states don't mean I care

pylon

As far as firmware I don't know, I lack a FTDI adapter so I can't flash it, it is factory set.
If you have a socket version of the UNO you can use it as a replacement for the FTDI adpter. Just remove the processor and swap the UART connection (pin 0 and 1) you currently have. The you have a direct serial connection to the ESP8266 you can use to flash it.

Shield is a test part of Wifi.h.
I don't understand that. Why do you install a WiFi shield if you want to use the ESP8266?

Go Up