Go Down

Topic: Discharging charges (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Ralph2694

Hello everyone,
 I am doing a project regarding earthing problems so for places where we cannot provide proper earthing is there a circuit to drop excess charges whenever there is malfunction? If there can anyone tell me the circuit?

wvmarle

What device?
What excess charge?
How much?
Where does it come from?
Where could it go to?
Just the first few questions that pop up. Maybe I should simply summarise this to "wtf are you talking about?"
Read your message and imagine you know nothing about the project! Does it still make any sense to you?
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

hammy

An RCD comes to mind ? 

Paul_KD7HB

Hello everyone,
 I am doing a project regarding earthing problems so for places where we cannot provide proper earthing is there a circuit to drop excess charges whenever there is malfunction? If there can anyone tell me the circuit?
IF there is a malfunction, the charges have already taken care of themselves.

Paul

Paul__B

Ralph2694

I have to create a circuit to replace earthing in a home. Whenever the earth to neutral voltage increases above 10v i need to reduce the charge like the earth does.

rtek1000

Nov 04, 2018, 04:57 am Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018, 04:58 am by rtek1000
I have to create a circuit to replace earthing in a home. Whenever the earth to neutral voltage increases above 10v i need to reduce the charge like the earth does.
:o

Stay away from adaptations in this sort of thing, grounding is something to be taken very seriously.

What do government regulators say about it? Do you have specific regulations for your region?

I think the best thing to do is consult a professional electrician in your locality, preferably an engineer.
Please avoid private messages, your question may be someone's answer in the future!

wvmarle

The two are supposed to be connected at the point where the power reaches your home, from where there also should be some form of earthing: e.g. a metal rod going down into the ground. There should never be such a potential difference in the first place, but even if it happens (it commonly does) that still shouldn't be an issue.

So why do you think you have to create something that replaces this, apparently without having much of a clue of what you're really doing?

More and more wondering why this is in the Arduino forum in the first place. It sounds like you're planning to mess around with your home's mains power system, which is something that should be left to licensed electricians. OTOH if you don't have children yet, you may still be able to get your 15 minutes of fame by qualifying yourself for a Darwin award if you have your house burn down as a result.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Ralph2694

Nov 04, 2018, 10:57 am Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018, 11:02 am by Ralph2694
Am doing a project for people in mountain regions where we cannot provide proper earthing the whole village is located in a mountain made of rocks so these people are having device failure and getting affected by electricity repeatedly due to earth failure so i am trying to provide them an alternate so that they wont  have to lose more!!! If you have any idea please am out of ideas !! I know there are different earthing methods but these people cant afford those charges. I tried providing a resistive load circuit by designing a cascade of voltage dividers to observe the charges but it is not useful that much so is there a way to control earthing in cheaper way and also i need to indicate those variation for them so that they will be carfull using electroniv devices!!!

srnet

This is not an area\project where an inxperienced DIYer should even consider getting involved.

That you are contemplating this is a very good indication that you do not understand the safety implications and what could happen when your cunning wheeze goes wrong.

This is definetly not a subject for the Arduino forums.
No PMs please, they dont get answered.

Paul__B

Am doing a project for people in mountain regions where we cannot provide proper earthing the whole village is located in a mountain made of rocks so these people are having device failure and getting affected by electricity repeatedly due to earth failure
Umm, in short, no!  No doubt there is a problem, but you are unable to understand it.

As others have said, this is clearly well beyond your comprehension of electronics and electrical theory; we cannot hope to teach you that here; it is a very involved matter.

You seriously need to enlist the help of someone near to you with the expertise in such matters.  :smiley-eek:

MarkT

If a solid earth cannot be provided, mains electricity is a killer and should not be used.

What earthing methods have been tried?
[ I DO NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them unread, use the forum please ]

rtek1000

Hello,

When earthing is inefficient, chemicals may be used to improve it.

Please look for an engineer in your locality.

Look at this Website, maybe it will help:

To reduce soil resistivity, it is necessary to dissolve in the moisture particle in the Soil.
Please avoid private messages, your question may be someone's answer in the future!

Paul_KD7HB

This seems to be similar to a documentary I saw some time past. In India, and other places, People steal electricity from businesses and sometimes they make mistakes and get more voltage than they expect. Fatal results.

In the OP's case, he need to tell us more about the people. Do they have any livestock? Do the have indoor plumbing? Do they poop and pee inside or outside. If outside, do they do it in the same places? Do the people raise any gardens or flowers in soil? Any of those places are optimum for ground rods. Any of those places will conduct your "charges" quite well.

How is the power supplied to the people? Is it underground or above, on poles and wires? Who installed the electric service? Did you consult with them? In the US, EACH pole must have a copper plate on the end in the ground, with a heavy copper wire going to the system ground wire, or common wire.

Paul

suttle0577

Are you using a generator to get your electricity?
Are you talking about neutral grounding resistors? For generators and transformers?
Nothing to do with earthing as such but helps protect electrical equipment from damage

Go Up