Go Down

Topic: Tracking and restricting rotation of a finger joint (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic

shimonchick

Nov 05, 2018, 10:03 pm Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018, 10:07 pm by shimonchick
Hello. I'm working on a project where I need to track(and restrict) the rotations of each join of a finger.
I need some sensor that has low torque and doesn't stop the movement of the finger unless instructed to.
It needs to be able to track the rotation of the joint in some way. I have found some potentiometers that can track the joint rotation by changing their resistance, but I have not found a way to restrict the joint movement. I have found out that when a servo is powered on it is very hard to move it by hand, which is just what I want. Is there some small(i need 3 on each finger) servo/stepper motor that can move with the joint and track it's rotation but also apply resistance when commanded to. Any links, suggestions, other approaches are appreciated. Thank you.

PaulS

I need some sensor that has low torque
Do you mean that you don't want to have to supply much torque to move the sensor? Rotary encoders and potentiometers require almost no torque to move.

and doesn't stop the movement of the finger unless instructed to.
Why would the sensor ever prevent the movement of the finger? ALL that a sensor is supposed to do is sense something.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Go Up