Go Down

Topic: Problem with Googling stuff and getting "print page" (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

nickgammon

Quite often I Google for stuff on this site, because the inbuilt search is, ah, not always optimal.

But I also frequently get, from Google, a whole lot of "Print Page" results. For example this search:

Code: [Select]
compare millis site:arduino.cc +subtract +awol

It's kind of annoying. I don't want to print the page, I want to read it. Is there not some entry that can be made in robots.txt to stop the "Print" button from being followed? Or just delete the button. Heck, if people programming microprocessors don't know how to print a page from their web browser there is something wrong.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

a.d

The print page gets rid of extraneous design features so it uses less ink should someone want to print it. EDIT: It could use a different CSS file for printing though, which would present a simpler view, as an alternative.

You're right though, it's annoying when it happens - perhaps a "nofollow" on the print button would help solve this problem?

mowcius

I find this a right pain too - can't the robots.txt file be modified so search engines exclude the print pages?

3dprinter

Or fix the real problem - improve search - rather than fix the symptom of google finding print pages.....

Hmm??...nudge-nudge

mowcius

Or fix the real problem - improve search - rather than fix the symptom of google finding print pages.....

Improving the search? The problem is all the stupid print page results so fixing the problem would be fixing the robots.txt file.

3dprinter

At the risk of sounding to opinonated - the argument is
Too many print pages found
because people use google +site:arduino.cc (thats what the OP wrote: "googling on this site")
because the forum search is too simpleminded (the real problem)

Now, I agree, if the printpages are off limits google wont find them, and that is a solution - except the 42000 pages it already has cached and indexed  :~

In someways if the poor admins can use offtheshelf search and not have to reinvent the wheel to get a good search on this site, fine. On the other hand a site specific search can
1: Choose to search text, titles, usernames, forum, playground, blog, main (tick all that apply)
1b: the hits are with/without a specific subforum, username
2: Limit date range for original, or last post

On the other hand - is there a keyword that only appears on the print pages, then asking google to exclude it might be a workaround?

mowcius

Now, I agree, if the printpages are off limits google wont find them, and that is a solution - except the 42000 pages it already has cached and indexed

It will apparently remove pages over time when the google bot comes a scanning :)

Go Up