Go Down

Topic: sketch won't properly transfer to laptop (Read 678 times) previous topic - next topic

saltyjoe

I have a sketch that compiles on my desktop. I copied it to a CD and uploaded it to my laptop. On the laptop, certain Arduino phrases don't seem to be recognized and the sketch won't compile.

On the desktop, setSyncProvider(RTC.get);    is orange but on the laptop it's black and I get the error, 'RTC was not declared in this scope'. Alarm.alarmRepeat is also black on the laptop. pinMode and Serial.println are orange and OUTPUT is blue on the laptop, so some things seem right.

Anybody willing to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.                               

Code: [Select]
  setSyncProvider(RTC.get);                                   // the function to get the time from the RTC   
    if(timeStatus() != timeSet)
        Serial.println("Unable to sync with the RTC");
    else
        Serial.println("RTC has set the system time");     

// create the alarms                                                         
  Alarm.alarmRepeat(1, 0, 0, KalkStirAlarm);
  Alarm.alarmRepeat(1, 0, 7, KalkDoseAlarm);
  Alarm.alarmRepeat(1, 0, 19, StopKalkDoseAlarm);                //kalk
  Alarm.alarmRepeat(1, 1, 0, StopKalkStirAlarm);

UKHeliBob

Has the laptop got the same libraries installed as the desktop ?
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

saltyjoe

Thanks, turns out I have version 1.6.7 on the desktop and 1.6 on the laptop, which I deleted. The laptop didn't have the 'manage libraries' choice that the desktop has.

I downloaded 1.6.7 to the laptop but when I try to open it I get error-

'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.'

Not sure what to do here. It's confusing because when I downloaded 1.6.7 to the desktop awhile ago, I downloaded it and was good to go. Any chance you can help me get 1.6.7 running on the laptop?

DKWatson

There are occasionally problems experienced with the installation of the IDE. Try re-installing it. If you want to ensure compatibility with your desktop, copy your libraries folder, found at your sketchbook location.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mahatma Gandhi

saltyjoe

Every time I download, when I try to open I get that same error. If I click 'view downloads' I can find an icon with a picture of a file that says, 'arduino-1_6_7-windows_zip'.

I can't figure out what to do with it. If I right click and select the 'open with' option I still get that same error.

DKWatson

I don't know if 1.6.7 is a typo but we're up to 1.8.7. Anyhow, try 1.8.6 or 1.8.5.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mahatma Gandhi

saltyjoe

Nov 20, 2018, 01:40 pm Last Edit: Nov 20, 2018, 01:41 pm by saltyjoe
Not a typo, I thought putting the same version on the laptop as the desktop made sense. IDK.

I just tried 1.8.7 and got the same thing. No matter which version I down load, when I select 'save' it fails to download but the first retry downloads every time.

When I view downloads I find an icon that looks like a piece of paper with a curled corner. It says, 'arduino-1_8_7-windows_exe'

When I right click and select 'open with' I get that same error.

'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.'

I selected 'properties' and then selected 'unblock' but I can't see where it made any difference. I'm leery about clicking on things that I am not sure about but that seemed like a good bet...

DKWatson

Something in Windows has associated itself with .exe files. The download should appear with the Arduino icon. It is an executable installation and should run just by double clicking it. Is it the proper size? About 103MB for 1.8.7? If so, just try it and see what happens.

pert

When I view downloads I find an icon that looks like a piece of paper with a curled corner. It says, 'arduino-1_8_7-windows_exe'
Are you certain that's the exact filename? It should be arduino-1.8.7-windows.exe, not arduino-1_8_7-windows_exe.

saltyjoe

Something in Windows has associated itself with .exe files. The download should appear with the Arduino icon. It is an executable installation and should run just by double clicking it. Is it the proper size? About 103MB for 1.8.7? If so, just try it and see what happens.

Yes, it's 103 MB. No matter if I double left click or right click and select 'open with', I get that error. I don't know how to do what that error message wants.

Are you certain that's the exact filename? It should be arduino-1.8.7-windows.exe, not arduino-1_8_7-windows_exe.
I just double checked and it's     arduino-1_8_7-windows_exe

saltyjoe

This thread wandered from library issues to IDE won't install. Wandering around is never good for threads. Sorry about that.

I did a little looking around and it turns out there are some issues with Windows 8 and installing the IDE. Laptop has Windows 8.1. There's a workaround but it made my eyes glaze over...My goal was to carry laptop to where Arduino is installed to tweak sketch as needed. I don't mind getting out of my comfort zone trying to make a computer work and goofing with electronics but I have a family and a job-I had to throw in the towel.

But I came up with a primitive solution that works. I spliced a 50 foot extension on a printer cord. (:

Thanks all for taking the time to chime in.

DKWatson

There's an Android app that'll do that, no?

saltyjoe

An app for wireless connection or fix the windows 8 issue?

pert

I'm not convinced it's a Windows 8 issue. It seems to me that the issue is that for some reason the downloaded file has no extension and so the OS doesn't know how to deal with it. The question is why the heck you're getting that weird filename. Are you downloading it from the official Arduino downloads page?:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

saltyjoe

No matter if I download from the official Arduino page, Firehorse or elsewhere, the exact same thing occurs-it fails to download then downloads on the very first retry. Every time.

Go Up