To All you Aruino Users

For all you Arduino users, I envy you! I am very old and totally fascinated with Arduino technology and you users. You guys do amazing things. I can barely plug in a wall socket, but you guys are world-changers to me. Congratulations for using this wonderful technology. Lead on!
Tom

Quite a few of us are well into our 60s and 70s.

60+ here too !

They say you cannot teach an old dog new tricks, but I learn on here every day.

There's a few of us old farts around. The various Arduino processors are probably faster than what a lot of us got our start on many decades ago. Remember the Intel 8080? It was a 2 MHz processor and the original IBM PC was a 4.77 MHz.

I think the average age here is seventy.

ChrisTenone:
I think the average age here is seventy.

And for some of us, when we are asked our age, we respond with, "What year is it? OK, hold on while I get out my calculator..."

"Youth is wasted on the young..."

Well my birth certificate would lead you to believe I am 66 but really I am somewhere between 16 and 26

...R

NavyVet1959:
Remember the Intel 8080? It was a 2 MHz processor

Well, it had a 2MHz clock, but very few (if any? I don't remember) instructions were single cycle, so the actual instruction rate was much lower than 2MHz.

AWOL:
Well, it had a 2MHz clock, but very few (if any? I don't remember) instructions were single cycle, so the actual instruction rate was much lower than 2MHz.

Yep, the MIPS were pretty low on that one... :slight_smile: More like sub-MIPS...

That was also back in the CISC (vs RISC) days. I think the first RISC based processor I ever dealt with was the IBM RT. Compared to what we had before that, it sure was a screamer. An interesting note about that... When we got the box and stared to load the O/S on it, the O/S came on a rather large number of floppy discs. I think they were the 1.2M discs. Of course, I'm also old enough that I can remember systems that had 8" floppy drives and we considered that such a major advancement from the punch cards that we had had to deal with before then.