Go Down

Topic: Established US-based university engineering schools using arduino? (Read 2384 times) previous topic - next topic

KeithRuck

Back when I lived in other states, I partnered with local university engineering programs that had 'senior project' classes, where community members could propose ideas and pay for supplies, and if the idea was selected by a senior engineering team, they would spend one semester doing research and design, and a second semester doing build, test, and refinement.

I now live in the Pacific Northwest (Northeast of Seattle) and so far, my attempts to find something similar in this area have been unsuccessful. As a result, I'm considering the possibility of doing long-distance project sponsorship (not my favorite idea- I like to meet with the teams, give feedback along the way, etc). In order to make it more likely that the projects would be successful long-distance, I'm thinking that it would help to work with a university that has faculty expertise in, and a lot of student usage of, a standardized hardware platform like the arduino and related shields.

Is anyone aware of, or do you have a list of, university undergraduate programs that use arduinos as part of their curriculum, including working on externally-sponsored (hardware costs only) projects?

Past projects I've submitted & sponsored include embedding sensors into a chair to determine posture for ergonomic research, and a pre-filter for speakerphones to provide visual feedback on sound quality in a business setting. Future projects include wireless greenhouse controls, and an automobile-based video logging system.

I appreciate your suggestions for university programs to contact.

Thank you,
Keith

Valalvax

I don't live in the area, so I can't say, but don't limit yourself to just engineering schools, look at computer programs and industrial programs as well, there are plenty of smart smart people in all sorts of programs (I'm biased though, as I'm in both a computer and industrial program at my school)

KeithRuck

My current search for Arduino-based programs is more limited than my local search- I've hit all the places I've heard of, as my past projects have also included mechanical engineering, computer programming, and other types of projects. I also looked at community and technical colleges, but I haven't contacted any because their websites didn't convince me that they were set up for these types of larger/complex projects; the closest community college is focused on entry-level courses so that students can transfer to a University, and the technical colleges seem focused on either total software (network security, etc) or completely unrelated fields to anything I might submit ideas for. I am still looking, but am losing hope that I'll find anything local, so I'm really just expanding my search range, but figured a school using standardized hardware would have a better chance of actually completing projects with quality outcomes, as opposed to students having to design circuits from scratch (which has happened on some of my projects, with very mixed results). Also, if I end up working with multiple universities or colleges and end up wanting to move "phase 2" of some project to another institution, they will be more likely to have rapid startup when all using a standardized platform. I'm sure Arduino isn't the only standard platform out there, but I'm hoping that someday the Netduino will have VB support so I can do some of my own programming, so I figured I'd start here ;-)

I guess if nothing else, maybe the Arduino folks will read this and consider partnering with some major institutions and provide student pricing in exchange for exposing bright students to the platform, which ultimately would help them get even more visibility.

Best,
Keith

westfw

You might post your question on the adafruit formums  as well.  I think they're more connected to the engineering school users, while the core team is more  connected with non-engineering users...

Go Up