Go Down

Topic: Can't open Arduino IDE on Linux " There was an error launching the application " (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

monsieurjean

Please anybody give me some light

I am an Ubuntu Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS user (Release:   16.04 Codename:   xenial)

after installing the IDE, I can't open it
I just get a message like:  " There was an error launching the application " , without any further explanation or error code.

I downloaded the arduino-1.8.7.xz file and placed it inside a folder inside my desktop.

Then I extracted it's contents in the same folder.

Then I navigated through the Terminal, into inside the folder of the extracted contents

then I  run the install.sh using ./install.sh and everything went smoothly, apparently

But after i click the newly created icon on the desktop I get this annoying error message.

Then I runned the uninstall.sh file through the Terminal and deleted all the files
proceeded to download it again, and install it all over again.

But it was of no avail.
same old error message

sincerely don't know what to do!

Help me Arduino Community. You are my only hope
(end of Holographic message)

pert

Run arduino from the terminal command line and then post the output you see here.

monsieurjean

Thanks for the reply
By the terminal I managed to open the Arduino IDE

I hope that someday I will find a way to run it opened
without having to use the terminal every time

but thanks a lot!

RajeshS_86

Just goto desktop icon -> Right click -> Properties ->Command -> And check if the path is correct.

Also, make sure there's no space in the name of the extracted folder of arduino

Cheers !

peladotumba

Just goto desktop icon -> Right click -> Properties ->Command -> And check if the path is correct.

Also, make sure there's no space in the name of the extracted folder of arduino

Cheers !
That last part made my day. Thanks! I renamed the folder to have no spaces, updated Exec path in the desktop icon and worked!
Thanks again!

Go Up