Go Down

Topic: which programmer to buy, receiving upload error  (Read 238 times) previous topic - next topic

kashi786

hello I hope someone can help me with this, basically My board (uno) used to work fine before, but now Ive been getting this avrdude error when uploading a sketch .

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x01

I know the error means the board can't communicate with my computer, but I know there's nothing wrong with the computer because I tried it on my phone as well, also tried two software versions, and few other things that didn't work. On the other hand my arduino nano uploads fine. So I thought maybe its the bootloader, so I tried to burn the uno bootloader using nano and it burned successfully, but when I tried to upload the sketch using my nano as programmer, I got the same error again for uno. So what I want to know is that Isn't this way like icsp and is supposed to bypass whatever part is causing that error??? so then why didn't it work??

I made the connections like this
Nano             Uno (error)
pin 10  >>>> reset
pin 11 >>>>> pin 11
pin 12 >>>>> pin 12
pin 13 >>>>> pin 13
gnd    >>>>> gnd
5v      >>>>>> 5v

Also is there any other  programmer I can buy that will not show that error , like this USBasp, if I buy this, will it solve my problem??  Thanks.

Budvar10

No, usual problem is in bad wiring. The advantages of USBasp is that it is more simple to connect without mistake and much higher uploading speed as via Arduino as ISP. It is more comfortable.
The cost for USBasp is dollar or two. Great value for that money. 
However, your problem can be solved via Arduino as ISP easily. I did it thousand times and it works, so you are making mistake somewhere.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

kashi786

Nov 29, 2018, 12:21 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2018, 12:26 pm by kashi786
I wired it as  I wrote in my post, also I did the wiring a couple of times, so this I don't think is the problem..

The problem is I am receiving the same avrdude error that I received when I uploaded the sketch on uno by itself...

can I like remove the atmega328p chip from uno and try to program it on breadboard with nano, does that have any chance of success??

Budvar10

I wired it as  I wrote in my post, also I did the wiring a couple of times, so this I don't think is the problem..
I understand. Your description of connection is fine but what about in real?

The problem is I am receiving the same avrdude error that I received when I uploaded the sketch on uno by itself...
Sorry, not clear for me. If you are trying "bootloading" via ICSP and you are not successful  then forgot for programming via USB/serial until you successfully finish the bootloading. The bootloader is probably erased by your first attempt.

can I like remove the atmega328p chip from uno and try to program it on breadboard with nano, does that have any chance of success??
Maybe, but back to the beginning. Uno worked fine before, right? Is there possibility you damaged the chip? What about to buy a new chip and do the tests on it.
Arduino clone with ATmega1284P   http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=277260.0

kashi786

Dec 01, 2018, 04:20 am Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 04:24 am by kashi786
ok, I got it work now, I already did the bootloader successfully but was having problems with loading sketch. But it works now, I think the problem was I had erased the arduinoisp sketch on nano by mistake, so after loading it, it is now able to program the uno.

But it still doesn't work when I do it directly with the usb, same error. But not really a big deal now.

But if Im able to program it using nano and not directly by usb, so does that mean problem is with the chip or the board???

Also not necessary, but if I wanna buy, what should I get just the atmega328p chip or the uno.

Also what should I get, usbasp or cp2102 programmer??

ballscrewbob

Almost any ICSP programmer will do the task.

Have at least 3 different one here and not had an issue with any of them.
Also useful to invest in a serial programmer and a JTAG programmer if you were to ask me as they all come in useful somewhere along the line if you want to play more with Arduino and other platforms.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Budvar10

Dec 02, 2018, 06:47 am Last Edit: Dec 02, 2018, 06:48 am by Budvar10
ok, I got it work now, ... But it works now, ...
But it still doesn't work ...
Does it work? Yes/No (select one)
If you are able to upload sketch via ISP then the chip is probably good. If you cannot upload via USB then the bootloader is missing or something is with USB/serial on the board. Do not forget that any attempt for uploading via ISP destroys the bootloader because memory erase goes first.

Also what should I get, usbasp or cp2102 programmer??
USBasp. The second one is USB/serial.

Go Up