Go Down

Topic: frustration (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

fabienLyrique

I am trying to upload to my newly arrived ATmega328 using my FT232 and keep getting this error message;

Ravrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I am on OS 10.6.7 with the new driver for the FT232R installed. Attached is a pic of my board. Any ideas what I am missing?

Please help!

fabienLyrique

oh, I sm just using the simple blink sketch

retrolefty

It appears you have a messed up reset circuit. You have a cap from pin 1 to pin 3? That cap should go between pin 1 and whatever pin is the DTR signal on the FTDI module. That allows the arduino IDE software to generate a auto-reset function required before a upload can take place. Otherwise you need to remove the cap and properly wire in a reset switch, which you then have to press and release at just the correct time. Auto-reset is the way to go as I'm sure that your FTDI module provides the DTR signal.

Lefty

perhof

It appears you have a messed up reset circuit. You have a cap from pin 1 to pin 3? That cap should go between pin 1 and whatever pin is the DTR signal on the FTDI module. That allows the arduino IDE software to generate a auto-reset function required before a upload can take place. Otherwise you need to remove the cap and properly wire in a reset switch, which you then have to press and release at just the correct time. Auto-reset is the way to go as I'm sure that your FTDI module provides the DTR signal.

Which I've already told him in this thread http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,58111
There are at least four threads open about this circuit now.

fabienLyrique

oh right. Im an idiot. I changed the board but I still get the same error message... Does that mean my FT232R is blown? I am choosing Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328 under Tools/Board. Attached is a new pic with the cap moved. Have I anything else messed up?

spycatcher2k

Are you sure the chip has the bootloader on it?

Drew.
Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

fabienLyrique

its supposed to be. this is what I bought from Sparkfun:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9217

retrolefty

oh right. Im an idiot. I changed the board but I still get the same error message... Does that mean my FT232R is blown? I am choosing Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328 under Tools/Board. Attached is a new pic with the cap moved. Have I anything else messed up?

Yes, still messed up. You need to wire the cap to the DTR   D....T....R signal on the FTDI module. It will be one of the side contacts on that module, you will have to look at a drawing to figure out which pin it is on.

Lefty

fabienLyrique

It worked!!! I am such a NoooooooooooB. I thought you were using some other acronym for the transmission pin.. but low and behold, I turn the thing upside down and there sitting in front of my nose is DTR! Thanks so much.

Go Up