Go Down

Topic: Please help me build a 16 bit counter using flip flops (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

aimmet

Im currently a little lost in my class, I need to build a 16 bit counter using only flip flops but i honestly dont know where to begin, im experienced with ardunio but the biggest curve ball was i cant use the ardunio for the counter, i can only use it to "source". I believe i need to use 4 flip flops, i understand about latch and clock times but i dont know how to connnect them in a way where it can do 16 bit counting. If anyone can help me maybe with a schematic diagram and an explanation i would greatly appreciate. Thank you for your time

dougp

The internet is awash with search results for "flip flop counter".
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

Grumpy_Mike

I believe i need to use 4 flip flops,
No you need 16 flip flops.

i understand about latch and clock times
I doubt it, why do you need a latch for a 16 bit counter? Unless there is something you are not telling us.

Simply take an edge triggered D-type flip flop and wire the D input to the Q bar output. Wire that also to the clock input of the next flip flop.

dougp

Seems the OP may be confused about 16-bit counter vs. count to 16.
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

Grumpy_Mike

Seems the OP may be confused about 16-bit counter vs. count to 16.
Well with only four flip flops he is only going to be able to count to 15.

Smajdalf

Well with only four flip flops he is only going to be able to count to 15.
If he starts at 1 he is able to get to 16 ;-) I believe dougp wanted to say "counter with 16 states". In other words 16-bit vs 16-states counter.
How to insert images: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0

Go Up