Go Down

Topic: WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized' (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

junafriikki

Hi people. I'm Arduino programmer in Finland. Have been programming Arduino last time in 2015. Now opened the sketch(es) again and found mysterious warnings.
Even compiling the "basic" sketch:

--------
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}
-------

I get this warning:

WARNING: Category '' in library EEPROM is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SPI is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library SoftwareSerial is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
WARNING: Category '' in library Wire is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino AVR Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
Sketch uses 450 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
----
Have uninstalled Java and Arduino IDE, then reinstalled IDE 1.8.7. -- No effect.

My PC is 64 bit HP & Win 8.1. The funny thing is that if I use my 64 bit Thinkpad laptop and IDE1.8.7 there are no warnings.
I know that these lines are "warnings" but it would be nice not to see them. Any ideas how to make a "clean" installation of IDE and Java?

pert

This indicates you're using an extremely outdated version of Arduino AVR Boards. You can update by doing this:
  • Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the downloads to finish.
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards".
  • Click "Update".
  • Wait for the update to finish.
  • Click "Close".

junafriikki

Many thanks! That helped. Now the "Arduino AVR Boards" is version 1.6.23. Also checked my Thinkpad and there this most recent version was already installed.

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad that solved the problem. Welcome back to the world of Arduino!
Per

Juraj

notes:
- reinstalling the IDE didn't help because the board packages are in a special folder (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15 on Windows and ~/.arduino15 on Linux)
- the 1.6.23 has problems with compiler. if you get "Segmentation fault", the downgrade to 1.6.21

Go Up