Go Down

Topic: Connect 1 ESC for 1 motor to Arduino Uno (Read 511 times) previous topic - next topic

CD_Q

Dec 12, 2018, 04:05 am Last Edit: Dec 12, 2018, 04:38 am by CD_Q
I need to connect 1 ESC for 1 motor for a drone to an Arduino Uno:

Do I connect the ESC using male male ended wire connectors from the three different colored ESC wire slots to the 5, 6 and 7 ports on the Arduino Uno or can I use either/or one of the groups of two rows of 3 prongs already attached to the Arduino Uno?  -  Or does one of the wires need to connect to the GND port or what???

Thanks

I attached a pic in Reply -

ardy_guy

I can't help, but below is OP's photo inline.

@OP, here is how to do that, for next time.

slipstick

The 3 wires from the ESC are red, goes to 5V pin, black, to GND pin and white goes to whatever digital pin your code is using to control the ESC.

Steve

MarkT

Don't connect the 5V pin, just the ground and signal, unless:

1) You are planning to power the Arduino from the BEC on the ESC.

2) Don't do this if at all possible, ESCs can fail, and risk taking your Arduino with it.

My recommendation is to connect ground wire to Arduino ground, and signal wire
with a series resistor (about 1k perhaps) to provide some degree of protection in case
of ESC failure.

Maybe I've been unlucky but I've seen two ESCs explode in flames (yes, literally), while in normal
operation, so I don't trust them.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

ardy_guy

so I don't trust them.
.... especially when the brand name is "Mystery"

slipstick

Dec 13, 2018, 10:33 am Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018, 10:36 am by slipstick
Don't connect the 5V pin, just the ground and signal, unless:

1) You are planning to power the Arduino from the BEC on the ESC.
Good advice normally but that specific ESC does not have a BEC. It needs to be provided with power on the red wire or it won't work (even though it's not actually a true OPTO ESC).

Or I suppose I should say...all the Mystery Cloud 80A ESCs I've seen have worked that way.

Steve

BabyGeezer

So than .... the set up above would work best than right? i.e.:
black wire to GND
white wire to whatever digital pin
red wire to 5v
you don't seem to be reading the advice being given.

you seem to just want to go ahead and connect things to "see what happens".

you are dealing with an ESC (which i myself, being a n00b am not ready for !) - and going by your questions, you are just starting out yourself - my suggestion is to start playing with simple servos and how to control them, before you want to handle ESCs and high-current actuators.

unless you are rich enough to just buy another Arduino if you accidentally do something not right.

"series resistor" means you connect the resistor in series.
(to wherever the original connection goes)
Attach your images to be viewed directly - THIS WAY;
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0

slipstick

So than .... the set up above would work best than right? i.e.:
black wire to GND
white wire to whatever digital pin
red wire to 5v
That's what I said back in post #3. I've used quite a few ESCs and that's how I normally connect them.

Steve

Go Up