Go Down

Topic: Help controlling dc motor for on/off (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

Logzz

Hey

Ive been reading a lot on here and i feel as if i have confused myself as to where to go now.

Here is the link to the dc motor I'm using https://www.amazon.com/AmpFlow-G43-500-Brushed-Electric-Motor/dp/B00D3ORSPA

Im going to use an external power source to supply the voltage to it. I want to use the arduino as a switch for it to turn on/off. I need help on what exactly I need to do so and what other components if necessary.

Also if i did want to control the speed of the motor what other components would i need to do so?

Paul_KD7HB

Hey

Ive been reading a lot on here and i feel as if i have confused myself as to where to go now.

Here is the link to the dc motor I'm using https://www.amazon.com/AmpFlow-G43-500-Brushed-Electric-Motor/dp/B00D3ORSPA

Im going to use an external power source to supply the voltage to it. I want to use the arduino as a switch for it to turn on/off. I need help on what exactly I need to do so and what other components if necessary.

Also if i did want to control the speed of the motor what other components would i need to do so?

Don't be confused. Read the motor specs:  500W at 2800 RPM at 27 Amps. So, it will probably need 100 amps to start under load.

Now you can look for relays and other controls that have at least that capability.

Paul

jackrae

Might I suggest you start by reading up on how to actually control a high power DC motor.  Lots of good technical stuff here  http://www.4qdtec.com/#mot

Logzz

This might be a dumb question but could i use a relay set up in normally open configuration and use the arduino to close the relay with a wireless controller? I'm not positive if this would work but just thought i would throw it out there.

Paul_KD7HB

This might be a dumb question but could i use a relay set up in normally open configuration and use the arduino to close the relay with a wireless controller? I'm not positive if this would work but just thought i would throw it out there.
Sure. IF you have a relay capable of 100 amps for a few seconds and then continuous at 30 amps.

Paul

GeoAC

Or make a H-bridge with 200V 100A MOSFETs.

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Transistors/MOSFET/_/N-ax1sf?P=1yw76e0Z1yw78i4

Logzz

After doing more research the spec sheet for that motor that was on amazon was wrong. It is 27 amps at its peak not its continuous. And I'm pretty sure this might not be the correct section to ask this but I'm going to control 2 other motors both of which i will have to control the speed of. These motors havent been selected yet but will not be near the amount of voltage to run the previous motor. Do you guys have any recommendations on Bluetooth or WiFi modules to use that are capable of doing what i want. I'm not positive if this is the right section to ask this question since there is a networking section but i thought it was a little more appropriate because it has what was previously said within the thread.

Thank you everyone for the help it has been much appreciated!

Paul_KD7HB

Don't complicate your project before you even get it running. Do one motor, then add the others with speed control. Finally add the remote operation.

Paul

MarkT

Jan 31, 2019, 08:25 pm Last Edit: Jan 31, 2019, 08:30 pm by MarkT
After doing more research the spec sheet for that motor that was on amazon was wrong. It is 27 amps at its peak not its continuous.
No, that's impossible, its rated at 500W 24V 27A, 80% max efficiency, which is completely consistent
with a motor having a winding resistance of about 0.2 ohms and thus stall current of 120A+ or so at 24V,
so you'll need some way to either handle that current or limit the current.  What is your power source?

Stall currents are typically an order of magnitude larger than continuous duty currents, other the
motor would be horribly inefficient in normal use.

[ Here's the manufacturer's performance graph for the motor:
 - imagine extrapolating the black speed plot till it intersects the x-axis - imagine how high the current and power plots would be there.. ]
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up