Go Down

Topic: which sd card module to buy (Read 342 times) previous topic - next topic

joedodo

I have got some sd card reader modules. But I tried both the official sd library and the sdFat one, none of them initiates. The module I have got is similar to the one in the picture. I found some bad reviews of it including get their sd card toasted. I found a lot sd card modules around. Could anyone give some recommendations that which specific module to buy. I mean both reliability and compatibility.

Thanks a lot!

Juraj

the module in attachment has power conversion, but doesn't have logic level conversion on communication pins and allows 5 V of Arduino to 3.3 V SD card. some other modules have wrong level conversion and hold the MISO line and block other devices on bus. the Adafruit module is OK. or the Arduino shields of course
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

joedodo

Okay. I see. So if I use  a 5V and 3.3V converter to connect these four lines of the spi, it should work, right?

Yes, I did find some extra chip on other sd modules.

Juraj

Okay. I see. So if I use  a 5V and 3.3V converter to connect these four lines of the spi, it should work, right?

Yes, I did find some extra chip on other sd modules.
don't convert MISO (master in slave out). arduino will read 3.3 V as HIGH (even if the datasheet has 3.7 as min to read HIGH)
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

Fmotiwala

The SD Card Module is a simple solution for transferring data to and from a standard SD card. The pinout is directly compatible with Arduino, but can also be used with other microcontrollers. This module has SPI interface which is compatible with any sd card and it use 5V or 3.3V power supply which is compatible with Arduino UNO/Mega.SD module has various applications such as data logger, audio, video, graphics.

Go Up