Is there any Arduino board/core template?

Hi all,

I was planning to maybe port Arduino to a new board/core as a fun exercise during the holiday break and I was wondering if anybody knows of any possible template or "skeleton code" that could be used to get started?

I could go though the AVR or SAMD core repositories and copy the public API, but I was wondering if this is something that perhaps somebody else might have already done?

I coudn't really find anything on google, github or this forum. It's quite possible I am not using the right search term, and maybe somebody from the community knows of hidden project like this?

I've also noticed there is this new repository, but it sounds like it is meant to be symlinked (or perhaps added as a git submodule?) into the core folder with the rest of the architecture-dependent files.

I'm not aware of one. I would use the Arduino AVR Boards as a template since that's the most well established and has been around the longest. On the other hand, if your target architecture is more similar to one of the other existing packages, it might make more sense to use that one as a template instead.

One thing you should be aware of is that Arduino has been working on "Project Chainsaw", which is removing non-architecture specific code from the core libraries and putting it in one centralized repository. This should make creating and maintaining a core library easier. Here is the repository:

That is still in beta but it is already in use by the Arduino WiFi Rev2's Arduino megaAVR Boards package:

carlosperate:
I've also noticed there is this new repository, but it sounds like it is meant to be symlinked (or perhaps added as a git submodule?) into the core folder with the rest of the architecture-dependent files.

Did you mean to add a link to that repository?

Thanks for the recommendation pert, and yes, that is repository I meant to link.

I didn't realise that was the outcome of "Project chainsaw", good to know that is the future of Arduino cores!