Go Down

Topic: WS2812b led strip and arduino, should I give up? (Read 2064 times) previous topic - next topic

sblantipodi

Not exactly mentioned so far, but it is generally the case that a power supply which has a ground lead on the AC cord, will also have that ground lead connected to the negative of the output.  Which is why Mike is suggesting that it has something to do with the odd behaviour.

You can verify that connection with a multimeter.

I'm sorry, probably I'm too noob to understand it, can you explain in different words where should I connect the multimeter?

Paul__B

You will almost certainly see continuity when you probe between the ground pin on the mains power input and the sleeve (negative) of the output connector.

Grumpy_Mike

Jan 22, 2019, 02:58 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019, 02:58 pm by Grumpy_Mike
for what it worth here the results of those circuit.
You might find this hard to believe but I have never seen an Ambilight in action before thanks.

Yes with a power supply with that much current output you are likely to have a 3 terminal mains connector. However in my experance the outputs still float rather than being connected to ground.

Paul__B

Jan 22, 2019, 10:01 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2019, 10:03 pm by Paul__B
Yes with a power supply with that much current output you are likely to have a 3 terminal mains connector. However in my experience the outputs still float rather than being connected to ground.
Which is why we want to know whether it is connected or not as part of the forensic trail.

To have the secondary not grounded, the transformers need to comply with "double insulation" standards even though it is not so marked as it has a ground pin.

Regarding the "that much current output", almost all 19 V laptop power bricks with a three pin plug do have the output grounded.

sblantipodi

my ignorance in this matter doesn't let me understand well what you are saying.
should I change my power supply for a better one?

Go Up