Go Down

Topic: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError in arduino 1.8.8 IDE with window 10pro (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

ecaits

My earlier OS was corrupted so reinstalled OS i.e. window 10 pro.
After that I have installed window 1.8.8 IDE in my PC and installation is successfully completed.
But when I open the arduino IDE, it opens temporary after that close immediately.
I have run the arduino_debug file in cmd prompt but found java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError.
I have attached screen shot of error file.

How can I solve the error.

pert

I think the more specific and helpful error is:

java.nio.charset.UnsupportedCharsetException: Cp65001

Please try this:
  • In the Arduino IDE installation folder, create a folder named portable. In your case the correct location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\portable. This will cause the Arduino IDE to run in portable mode.
  • Start the Arduino IDE.

What I'm thinking is that there may be some file in either your C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Arduino15 folder or your sketchbook folder that is causing this error. Those folders are not removed when you uninstall the Arduino IDE. When you put the Arduino IDE in portable mode, it will cause both those folders to no longer be used.

If that solves the problem and you don't want to continue to use the Arduino IDE in portable mode, I can help you to find and remove the problematic file so you can go back to using the IDE in regular mode.

Reference:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE

ecaits

Hi pert,

I have tried portable mode but still it is not open.
I am facing same problem as mentioned earlier.

pert

I'm sorry to hear that. I have updated your issue report with this information.

I have another thing you can try, though it's purely a wild guess. You could try downloading the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the Arduino IDE from:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
After downloading that file, you only need to unzip it and then run the file arduino.exe or arduino_debug.exe in the unzipped folder. No installation is necessary. You can move the folder anywhere that is convenient. It's worth a try anyway.

If you're looking for a workaround, there is the option of using the Arduino Web Editor:
https://create.arduino.cc/editor
I do hope we'll be able to get you up and running with the standard Arduino IDE though.

ecaits

Hi pert,

I have run the debug file as you have suggested in last post but same error found in command prompt.\
As I have try to run directly both the file i.e. arduino.exe and arduino_debug.exe but both are open temporary and close immediately within a second.

Should I change the OS from Window 10 pro to Window 8 version?

ballscrewbob

Have you made many personalisation changes to the windows install ?
What security are you using such as antivirus etc. ?
Although certainly not usually required have you installed the latest JAVA for x64 ?
Is windows fully updated ?
Are there any other large JAVA based apps you might have installed including other types of IDE or programming environment ?

Per's suggestions are normally the fix for so many things it is hard to see what else could cause it.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

DrAzzy

This issue seems to crop up for a lot of people, in a lot of contexts (this is the only instance of it in Arduino land that I'm aware of, but people have encountered analogous errors with a wide variety of software). And like here, it's an issue that occurs for a small portion of systems, but happens every time on impacted systems. Lots of issues closed as "cannot reproduce" - unsurprising, since it seems specific to the small number of impacted systems.

It looks like it's something related to the windows console character encoding and UTF-8 - but it's unclear why some people have it and other's don't.

Are you using unusual language/locale settings by any chance?

I saw one intriguing comment from an unrelated java program (some stupid minecrap thing) "If anyone is using Windows 10, be sure to not tick the following in Settings/Region and Language/Administrative Language settings/Change System Language.

In there, is a box called: Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for Global language support, dont tick this."

That setting doesn't seem to keep me from starting Arduino IDE, though.
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

ecaits

Wow its work.
I gone through Settings/Region and Language/Administrative Language settings/Change System Language and change the language from Hindi to English and its work.

Thanks for your support.

This issue seems to crop up for a lot of people, in a lot of contexts (this is the only instance of it in Arduino land that I'm aware of, but people have encountered analogous errors with a wide variety of software). And like here, it's an issue that occurs for a small portion of systems, but happens every time on impacted systems. Lots of issues closed as "cannot reproduce" - unsurprising, since it seems specific to the small number of impacted systems.

It looks like it's something related to the windows console character encoding - but it's unclear why some people have it and other's don't.

Are you using unusual language/locale settings by any chance?

I saw one intriguing comment from an unrelated java program (some stupid minecrap thing) "If anyone is using Windows 10, be sure to not tick the following in Settings/Region and Language/Administrative Language settings/Change System Language.

In there, is a box called: Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for Global language support, dont tick this."

That setting doesn't seem to keep me from starting Arduino IDE, though.

Go Up