Valve Striking Solenoid

Hi. I have been asked to help in a project because I am "techy" however I have only had limited experience with Arduino making keyboards with Leonardos so am seeking help...

I need to run a circuit to have a solenoid strike an exhaust valve to release CO2 gas.
My research on exhisting tech that does this for the same application but with high pressure (200bar/3000psi) has equipped me with a fit for purpose solenoid that apparently requires a 63v 2200uf cap.

I just need to charge the cap and dump it into the solenoid with the ability to adjust how long the solenoid is active regardless of time switch is pressed and if possible adjust charge of the capacitor to effect strength of strike.

I need a fair bit of hand holding if any one is willing, and I would be very happy to buy a beer for whomever drags me along to a solution

Handicapjack:
Hi. I have been asked to help in a project because I am "techy" however I have only had limited experience with Arduino making keyboards with Leonardos so am seeking help...

I need to run a circuit to have a solenoid strike an exhaust valve to release CO2 gas.
My research on exhisting tech that does this for the same application but with high pressure (200bar/3000psi) has equipped me with a fit for purpose solenoid that apparently requires a 63v 2200uf cap.

I just need to charge the cap and dump it into the solenoid with the ability to adjust how long the solenoid is active regardless of time switch is pressed and if possible adjust charge of the capacitor to effect strength of strike.

I need a fair bit of hand holding if any one is willing, and I would be very happy to buy a beer for whomever drags me along to a solution

Welcome to the Arduino forum.

Numbers need to be provided before much help can be provided. The numbers will also help you design your device.

What is the recovery time for your valve? This will be the limit on how often the valve can be operated.

A link to the valve technical data is important because your description seems to be for more than a valve.

Why do you think you need an Arduino for this project, when a simple power supply and a push button switch will do the job?

What will you be using for power for the valve and the other controlling devices?

What safety procedures are you going to have in place in case the system fails and valve stays open?

Paul

MOSFET driver chip, into a MOSFET or IGBT(*), using low-side switching for the solenoid. Driver
chip is wise for this application to be robust. This means 12V supply for driver chip. Standard
free-wheel diode across the solenoid winding is probably OK (but will slow down switch-off,
in which case a TVS diode can be used).

You need a something like a 12V->48V boost converter to charge the capacitor.

(*) The sort of IGBT used in car ignition circuits would be ideal I think.

Hi Paul,
Sorry for late reply, am currently on a long hospital stay.

Recovery time isnt a major factor. The valve would be operated no more than once every 30 seconds.

I have no link to the valves data as I will be making this myself in a lathe. It will be a simple stem valve, lightly spring loaded and holding back a max of 850psi

I assume using an arduino will help in controlling the voltage to the capacitor to ensure it is accurately charged each time, to limit the solenoid trigger switch so whether momentarily pressed or held it will function the same way it is programmed to by just operating the solenoid to strike the stem valve once.

Power has to be rechargable batteries.

If the valve stays open then at worse the CO2 chamber gets dumped and needs refilling. There is no safety concern.

Hi Mark,
Thanks, I will knock something together and see what happens