Go Down

Topic: Compatible Wall Switch/Dimmer Sensors (Read 138 times) previous topic - next topic

DavidRK

Hi, a quick intro as this is my first post  :)

At Xmas I met a childhood friend who's an engineer and he has tricked out his house with smart devices, It had me fascinated chatting to him as I have always had an interest in electronics, especially as a child.

After the holidays I started getting my google fingers in action, learning more about MCU's and the software to control them. I know how to code in a few different languages as I changed profession from struct engineering to web dev a few years ago, and the Arduino IDE seems pretty straight forward but my question is more related to connected hardware sensors.

My Question
I am replacing a light switch with an Arduino Nano, a Relay/Dimmer Module, a Wifi Module and a new touch switch (with dimmer), this will control some newly installed dimmable LED's.

What I am not sure about is picking the correct touch switch, as I am guessing these have a relay/thyristor in them anyway and all I want is the switch to connect to the Arduino as a manual override. The switches I have been looking at are AC and this seems overkill as the Relay/Dimmer Module should be doing any AC switching.

As I see it, my options are to mod the switch to just use the DC current to control the Arduino or use the Relay/Dimmer in the switch for AC control.

Is there an easier/better option, one with aesthetics and cheap lol?

larryd

Forget about reinventing the wheel and possible death.

Take a long hard look at Insteon modules and an ISY CONTROLLER, yes they are expensive.

https://www.aartech.ca/isy99-kit2-insteon-dual-band-starter-kit.html   

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

DavidRK

Thanks Larryd,

Checked them out and they are pretty expensive, with a bit of playing around the last few days I have managed to use a relay with a nano and a simple capacitive circuit behind a glass plate, working good apart from having issues connecting the ESP8266 up with it.

Yeah, I can see the dangers, I make sure an electrical engineer signs off on everything for both health and insurance.

AmphenolSensors

Been playing with this idea as well, albeit with just a switched output. I don't know how the professionally made switches work, I got mine working just fine with no lamp attached, soon as I put a lamp on the ESP8266 would reset periodically, so I haven't installed yet - I assume because of some RFI on the antennae. Tried relay, thyristor, disabling capacitive switch, still does it, very frustrating. Oh, and I get to play with 230V, more care needed!

Be interested to see how you get this resolved.

Go Up