Go Down

Topic: Arduino Fio + Xbee uploading issues (Read 2389 times) previous topic - next topic

amosammy

I'm having trouble getting my Arduino Fio to upload sketches.  I've used an Arduino Duemilanove before, and haven't had any problems with that.  I've tried uploading sketches both wirelessly using a 9V battery for power and two Xbee's (the one connected to the Fio configured for 'Fio' mode, and the one connected to the PC via USB Explorer adapter configured for 'Programmer' mode), as well as wired using an FTDI cable adapter.  In both cases, I'm getting the same error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I'm not sure what this means, or why I'm getting it.  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and my FTDI drivers are up to date.  I'm selecting Arduino Fio under Tools->Board and I'm selecting the proper serial port.  When programming with a wired connection, I removed the Xbee module.

As an aside, when configuring the Xbee's, I had to set the baud rate to 57600.  This means that I need to set the baud rate to 57600 for the COM port on my PC, correct?  Does this baud rate cause any programming issues?  I set the baud rate for the COM port on my PC to 9600 when I attempted to program the Fio with a wired connection.

Any help would be much appreciated.

amosammy

Here is more detailed output:

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "T:\Programs\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM10
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 57600
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

amosammy

Okay I think I've figured out my issue.  I got the wired connection working (wasn't pressing the FTDI adapter pins to the board hard enough..), but wireless programming isn't working.  I think I know why though.

When I power my Fio via usb cable WITH an Xbee module attached, it's running properly (LED by D13 is flashing), and the ON LED for the Xbee module is lit.  However, when I power the Fio with a 9V battery, the ON LED for the Xbee module is dim, and the LED by D13 remains off.  If I REMOVE the Xbee module and power the Fio with a 9V battery, the Fio operates properly.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?  Does a 9V battery not supply enough current to power both the Fio and the Xbee, or something?

lovedayt

I have pretty much the same issue.  plugged into USB, CHG and ON are on and bright RSSI and LED13 are off.  remove the Xbee and it goes into bootloader mode.  when trying to upload I get the same error you do.  and yes. after reconfiguring the XBEEs you need to change your baud rate to 57600 on the serial port.

Go Up