Go Down

Topic: Upload sketch on promini through duemilanove (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Cid156

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to upload a sketch on the promini through the duemilanove
The duemilanove has an fdpi chip on it so it should be possible.
If I connect;
Pin 0 from the duemilanove to rx1 (promini)
Pin 1 from the duemilanove to tx0 (promini)
5V from the duemilanove to VCC (promini)
GND from the duemilanove to GND (promini)

Should it work ? Do I have to remove the atmega on the duemilaove ?
What is the use of the X3 port ?
Thanks

CrossRoads

Yes, should be possible.
Remove the atmega so you are essentially connecting the same thing as an FTDI Basic to the promini.
Review the promini schematic and the FTDI Basic schematic (www.sparkfun.com, or www.gravitech.us) and make all 6 connections between the Promini and the FTDI chip via convenient locations on the Duemilanove.
Power
Ground
Rx
Tx
DTR (provides reset signal to the Promini)
CTS (check this - I believe is grounded on the promini, provides feedback to the FTDI chip that atmega chip is read to receive data)

Let me know how you make out - I have 2 dead prominis that I want to replace the chip on, haven't got around to ordering some blank parts from Mouser.com to try this.

X3 connects to the ICSP header for bit-banging bootloader into a non-bootloaded part. There is a nice writeup on doing that, requires downloading some files, unzipping, moving to various locations, and making up a little jumper cable to connect from X3 (which also needs some pins installed after unsoldering the holes) to the ICSP header. I have a duemilanove set up for doing that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Cid156

Apr 26, 2011, 08:15 pm Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 08:59 pm by Cid156 Reason: 1
Thank,
CTS is even not connected on the duemilanove so we can forget it... The main problem will be the DTR, I do not know how to pick the signal....
As I am not electronician, I will not take the risk to solder directly on the FTDI chips

Maybe I can pick it on the ICSP n°5 but I do not want to toast everything

Senso

The DTR is connected to the RESET pin header, that the signal from there, your problem is that no reset is done, so the bootloader cant see the new program comming and it doesnt work.

CrossRoads

CTS is connected to the X3 pins, unsolder the holes, add some pins and go from there.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

tistatos

Perhaps i could get my question answered here aswell, I want to do the same but with a Uno.

But doing some reading can someone confirm that the UNO doesnt have the FTDI chip for usb that makes this impossible?

Thanks

CrossRoads

I confirm the UNO does not have the FTDI chip to do BIT Bang programming.

Go Up