Go Down

Topic: Project help for a beginners robotics class  (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic

LunaticsLament

Feb 14, 2019, 10:52 pm Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 09:35 pm by LunaticsLament
I am in my first robotics class in college. We are building a robotic arm that is mounted to a base with wheels.

We will be using an accelerometer to control the arm with gestures,4 buttons to control the driving and a flex sensor to control the gripper of the arm and an arduino uno. 
Edit: We are also using a motor shield on the Arduino

We are using 9 DC motors to make the robot move. 4 of them are for the wheels and 5 are for the arm.

The wheels and arm will have a separate power supply. The arm is already designed to use 4 D batteries.

Can an arduino uno run 9 motors at one time?
Any other suggestions?

MBC99

I am in my first robotics class in college. We are building a robotic arm that is mounted to a base with wheels.

We will be using an accelerometer to control the arm with gestures,4 buttons to control the driving and a flex sensor to control the gripper of the arm and an arduino uno.

We are using 9 DC motors to make the robot move. 4 of them are for the wheels and 5 are for the arm.

The wheels and arm will have a separate power supply. The arm is already designed to use 4 D batteries.

Can an arduino uno run 9 motors at one time?
Any other suggestions?
You won't be able to drive the motors directly from arduino (maybe if they are super small servos then yes, I don't know how big the armn will be).
If that's the case you will need transistors to turn on and off the motors.

Robin2

(maybe if they are super small servos then yes, I don't know how big the armn will be).
Not even then. As well as the risk of overloading the Arduino, motors can generate damaging high voltage spikes.

If the motors need direction and speed control they will each need a h-bridge motor driver. Many motor drivers need separate PWM signals for forward and for reverse. An Uno can only produce PWM on 6 I/O pins so it would be limited to controlling three motors. A Mega has more PWM outputs.

You need to choose a motor driver than can provide the current and voltage required by your motors. The Pololu website has a good selection and similar devices are available from other suppliers.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

DrDiettrich

Check out the various motor types. DC motors are okay for moving, but the arm may be easier to control with servo or stepper motors. DC motors require a lot of speed control and position feedback, what limits the number of concurrently usable motors.

Go Up