Go Down

Topic: Can new UNO rescue damaged MEGA clone? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

skilljohnson

Long ago, when I first got started with microcontrollers, I had just purchased a brand new Seeeduino Mega and was having a blast learning how to program and shooting lasers at spinning things and whatnot. Well somehow in all the excitement, a stray peripheral cable was lying underneath the mini USB jack to my Arduino clone, and that cable snagged, jerked upward and yanked the mini USB connector right off of my board. Needless to say, that caused me a lot of grief... I tried desperately on numerous occasions to solder little jumpers to the traces on my PCB, but all that was to no avail.

Fast forward a couple years or so, and now I've given the Arduino another shot, only this time I bought the real deal; an UNO with a proper USB jack on it that doesn't rip right off! Anyway I know that the old MEGA clone is still functional because it appears to load a stepper motor test that was the last sketch I was able to upload to it, the only problem is that I can't get it to talk to my computer because I think I molested that FTDI chip with my soldering spree beyond any repairable state. BUT I have heard of using the Arduino itself as an "ISP" i believe it is, to program Atmel chips or something to that effect... If this is true, does that mean I can use my UNO to upload sketches to my old MEGA, and then enjoy the awesomeness of having twin Arduinos? Thanks in advance for any helpful... uhh.... help you all can come up with!

Gil Johnson

retrolefty

If this is true, does that mean I can use my UNO to upload sketches to my old MEGA, and then enjoy the awesomeness of having twin Arduinos

Yes that is possible. The UNO will be loaded with the ArduinoISP sketch. You will have to modify the boards.txt file in the arduino core folder (I think) to modify the arduino mega section to use the arduinoISP as the upload method. I haven't done this myself but I think it will work fine.

Lefty

Go Up