Go Down

Topic: TIME MACHINE PROP (Read 583 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulRB

I think for a film, you need a display with reasonably large digits and high contrast. I don't think 16x2 lcd will be a good choice.

If 7 segment displays are not flexible enough in terms of the shapes they can display, the are 14 and 16 segment displays. These are more rare, expensive and not as well supported as other displays. If you are looking for these, get one with a backpack/interface board based on the ht16k33 chip, this is the most common chip used to drive these displays with Arduino.

wvmarle

Instead of showing hieroglyphs (I think that's supposed to be a synonym of "mangled characters") you may fake a malfunction by switching fast between several numbers on the display - this may cause some segments to flicker, and some segments will appear brighter than others as well.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

dave-in-nj

Feb 12, 2019, 01:20 pm Last Edit: Feb 12, 2019, 01:20 pm by dave-in-nj
most coffee posts and microwaves have displays.
look around where your character might be.

since this is 'hollywood' it does not have to be real,

an old cell phone screen could be controlled to look like a digital display of just numbers, but with more letters/characters available.

a new TFT screen could be used to make anything on the screen.

some duct tape over the screen to add more of the scavenger effect ?  and hide the top or sides.

most libraries have different fonts, and can rotate them or flip them.
some can wipe the screen between letters or superimpose letters over each other to create what we would think is a mess.

youtube   arduino tft      and watch some of the test programs.  anything you see on the screen can be altered.

ATOMICTACO

I also want to avoid copy right infringement. I don't want to get slapped with a law suit for "stealing" a look or an idea.

wvmarle

Don't worry about that. It's extremely unlikely that what you're trying to do has not been done before. In a similar, but different manner. So get inspired by what you see around you, mix and match and add your own thing to it, and have fun.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

ATOMICTACO

I appreciate the feedback! There's a scene in the script that shows the character rummaging through different electronics some of which are clocks and microwaves. So, one 7 segment might be a different color and size than the other to imply scavenging. I was also thinking of having two 7 segment displays and one small display that would simply say "Processing" and "Start Over?" Would an Arduino Nano or Uno be suffice?

I'm also leaning away from the hieroglyphs and thinking of just having the numbers start to jumble up or have them count up or down in sequence. Don't know if that makes sense as Im trying to describe.

I'm welcome to any other ideas. With in the next few days, I'm going to decide on what I want it to be and look like.

As of now, all I would need are the 3 displays (with backpack) and Arduino?

PaulRB

all I would need are the 3 displays (with backpack) and Arduino?
Still a bit too vague to give an answer. You say two displays will be 7 segment, but how many digits? And what colour & size? The third display displays one of a couple of fixed messages, but how do these need to appear? Just a light next to a label with the message printed on it?

wvmarle

That will PROBABLY do. Can't say for sure without knowing the actual parts.
LED displays may need more power than your Arduino can supply, thus need separate power supplies.
If using a "backpack" on the IC that typically means you need 2-4 pins per display; some may or may not be shared; that number of output would be no problem for an Uno.

ATOMICTACO

Awesome! I can't thank you enough for all the advice you've given me. I'm going to get plugged away with getting the parts and building them. I'll be sure to show you all my progress of the device as well as the short film upon completion.

Go Up