Go Down

Topic: For the model train nuts here (Read 880 times) previous topic - next topic

dougp

I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

Robin2

Fascinating. But it's bigger than HO
This 1:20.3 scale
HO is 1:87

YouTube has tonnes of model railway footage in every scale.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomGeorge

Our HO/OO GWR layout was 20feet by 12feet in a room of its own.
Must dig up some pictures.

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Robin2

Our HO/OO GWR layout was 20feet by 12feet in a room of its own.
"WAS" ?

You don't mean to say it is gone?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomGeorge

Mar 04, 2019, 11:37 am Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 11:39 am by TomGeorge
"WAS" ?

You don't mean to say it is gone?

...R
Unfortunately yes, mum and dad have sadly passed.
About 10years ago, dad developed Alzheimers, mum being just about blind and reliant on hearing aids couldn't look after him and her.
The lived in a Western Victorian town of Darlington, its on google maps, pics and all.
So we had to move dad into a nursing home, and mom closer to me.
Both of them fortunately happy to move close to there sons. This was a plan that was bought forward by about 5 to 8 years.
So the property was put on the market, and the layout dismantled.
My brother is the more railway enthusiast than me and took care of the job, as he had more time.
Over 45years of the layout, we had collected a vast variety of rolling stock, I have kept some and we sold on to various enthusiasts and collectors the various items.
Dad fitted glass windows around 3 walls of the shed so you could look at the display from all sides.
We had a bell signalling system at one stage, and a hump yard for shunting.
Sad to see it go, but that was all that we could do, I'll try and find some pics, we have an album in the family archive boxes that I will have to dig out.
My dad was from Slough, so mostly Triang-Hornby based on GWR.
Most locos were originally bought before they stated putting power units in the tender of their larger steam trains.
All converted to 5 pole motors.
Among them, 3 or 4 Princess Elizabeth, 2 Stanier Black 5, numerous shunting 0-6-0 engines, a Lord of the Isles and 2 Britannia class locos that I can remember.
Most of my electronics and my brothers modeling experience was learn't building and maintaining it.
Dad gave up smoking in 1963, used his smokes money on model railway.
Tom... :)

TomGeorge

Mar 04, 2019, 01:33 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 01:36 pm by TomGeorge
Hi,
Just facebook messengered my brother, he had some scanned photos.
Sorry for the quality, but this was pre digital, these are some we found.

Tom.. :)

Robin2

Looks great.

Alas, time catches up with everything.

...R

Go Up