Go Down

Topic: Controlling 4 continuous servos with PCA9685 (Read 4658 times) previous topic - next topic

ElectronDonda

Hello, everyone.
A month ago I bought a PCA9685 16 channel 12-Bit PWM driver for controlling my servos. I have 4 HSR-2645CRH Hitec continuous servos. I am trying to control them using the PCA9685 driver but I'm having problems with the code. Can anyone help me with it, I can't make the servos move in one direction or another and I can't control their speed.

vinceherman

What code have you tried?  Post it here.  Use code tags.
How do you have things wired up? Get a pencil and paper, draw up a wiring diagram, take a picture and post it here.

If you have not tried any code, load up the tutorial that came with the library for the card.

Northof49

elvon_blunden

I'm curious to know why you don't just run them straight off the Arduino? What does the controller bring to the party?

jackthom41

I'm curious to know why you don't just run them straight off the Arduino? What does the controller bring to the party?
Such drivers makes it easier to control multiple servos. If you search a little on PCA9685, then you will know that it's an I2C driver and it has 16 channels so means you can control 16 servos with 2 Arduino Pins. I think he is being smart.

Hello, everyone.
A month ago I bought a PCA9685 16 channel 12-Bit PWM driver for controlling my servos. I have 4 HSR-2645CRH Hitec continuous servos. I am trying to control them using the PCA9685 driver but I'm having problems with the code. Can anyone help me with it, I can't make the servos move in one direction or another and I can't control their speed.
Share your code and some images of your hardware, if you really need help.
My collection of Arduino Projects ====> https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/2015/03/arduino-projects.html

vinceherman

What does the controller bring to the party?
  • Power distribution is one big advantage.  Screw terminals to hook up your external power supply.
  • Off-loading of the servo signal generation means that timer 1 is not dedicated to that signal.

Northof49

They work terrific and are available for very cheap.  I used to run into problems with jittery servos that would move slightly when they were supposed to be standing still.  Some brands of servos worse than others, but all seem to run into this problem with certain libraries combined with servo control.  That makes a shaky robot arm or difficult to view video.  Switched to a PCA9685 and haven't looked back.  Rock steady when they hold a position.

longman202

They work terrific and are available for very cheap.  I used to run into problems with jittery servos that would move slightly when they were supposed to be standing still.  Some brands of servos worse than others, but all seem to run into this problem with certain libraries combined with servo control.  That makes a shaky robot arm or difficult to view video.  Switched to a PCA9685 and haven't looked back.  Rock steady when they hold a position.
How did you power the PCA9685?  I already fried three boards. I use a Variable DC supply of 5.8 volts and 40amps max...

longman202

I already fried three boards with my 5.8volts and 40 AMPS DC variable power supply. Any help please...

slipstick

What boards did you "fry"? And exactly where did you connect the 5.8V? The main power connections of a PCS9685 board can easily tolerate 12V.

Steve

Go Up