Go Down

Topic: Newbie Help Please: Oscillator.h: No such file or directory (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Ben_swo

I am a teacher delivering some Arduino lessons for the first time and I'm having trouble with this error:

Not used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries/Servo
exit status 1
Oscillator.h: No such file or directory

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out or point me to a reference that I can follow. I have searched quite a bit with no luck.

I am building the OttoDIY Humanoid robot, Arduino Nano board.

Cheers, Ben

pert

When you encounter an error you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages" (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button. Paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the forum toolbar). If the text exceeds the forum's 9000 character limit, save it to a text file and post it as an attachment. If you click the "Reply" button here, you will see an "Attachments and other settings" link.

When you see a "No such file or directory" error it almost always means you need to install the library that contains the missing file.

Often the code you're compiling will come with documentation (either a comment or separate document) that tells you where to get the library dependencies.

In other cases the author of the code will not have been so kind and you'll need to go on a hunt for the missing library.

A good place to start is the Arduino IDE's Library Manager:
  • Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries...
  • In the "Filter your search..." box, type some keywords you have gleaned from the missing file name.
  • Scroll through the results for the right library. Click on it.
  • Click "Install".
  • Wait for installation to finish.
  • Click "Close".
  • Try compiling your code again.

If you have no luck in Library Manager then load up your favorite search engine and do a search for the missing filename. You will often get multiple results. If you have a lot of results you might add "arduino" as an additional search keyword. I will usually prefer results on github.com since that is where most Arduino libraries are hosted and downloading from there is fast and easy. In some cases there will be multiple libraries that contain the given filename and you'll need to do some evaluation to determine which seems the most appropriate, then try it out. After downloading the library you found you'll need to install it. This requires a different process than the Library Manager installation. You will find instructions here:

westfw

I am building the OttoDIY Humanoid robot
Although OttoDIY uses some Arduino hardware, the documentation I was able to find for it implies that it uses one of the block-structure IDEs like "mBlock.cc Version 3" or "Arduino Blocks" as its main programming environment.  I haven't see a lot of discussion on those here.  There are separate web sites like http://www.mblock.cc/ that might be more helpful (or the Otto DIY site itself.  Although i doesn't look very helpful :-(
Oscillator.h: No such file or directory
This sort of error is usually cause by not having some of the necessary libraries installed.  I have no idea how mBlock installs libraries :-(

In an educational environment, I've observed that this is often caused by the need to "lock down" the PCs in use, and lack of communications between the teachers who need the tools, and the "tech administrators" that are allowed to install tools.  (ie "I need the Arduino environment for my robot" vs "I need the Arduino Environment and all the Otto DIY Plus libraries necessary for *this setup.*)  Very frustrating; it would probably drive me crazy to be on either side of that...

The OttoDIY github site mentions an "advanced programming mode" using the Arduino IDE.  It has "instructions" like:

For the advanced programming

"all libraries", eh?  From where?  I guess if you use their Download link, and unzip it, you do get a directory structure with an APP/Libraries sub-directory; that may be sufficient?  (The Arduino IDE itself has sort-of moved on to an easier-to-use "Library Manager", but I don't see any OttoDIY libraries "registered.")

Go Up