Atmega328 vs Atmega328p....what are the differences?

john1993:

retrolefty:
Seems the P version has a timer3 that the non P doesn't, that's rather significant. Does manics port define and support timer 3?

that is an error in the datasheets. there is no difference in timers between the two chips.

I don't think so. I didn't even know there was a non-P version of the 1284 before today, but that latest datasheet showing a non-P chip version avalible is pretty consistent through out that the timer3 (of timer0 through timer3) in not applicable to the non-P chip. Even the front page summary has:

Peripheral Features
– Two 8-bit Timer/Counters with Separate Prescalers and Compare Modes
One/two 16-bit Timer/Counter with Separate Prescaler, Compare Mode, and Capture Mode

I take that to mean the 1284P has 2 8 bit timers and 2 16 bit times, where as the non-P has two 8 bit timers but only one 16 bit timer.

You disagree, if so why?

Edit: Interesting, if you look at the cover sheet page of a old data sheet it states:

• Peripheral Features
– Two 8-bit Timer/Counters with Separate Prescalers and Compare Modes
One 16-bit Timer/Counter with Separate Prescaler, Compare Mode, and Capture Mode

So comparing the two datasheets ( 8272A–AVR–01/10 Vs 8272D–AVR–05/12 ) it would seem that the 1284P gained a fourth timer rather then the non-P losing a timer it never had. Pretty confusing all in all.
Lefty