5 MHz signal from Due

ard_newbie:
If a PWM PDC DMA is used, the "clock pin" frequency will be 84 MHz/8/2 = 5250000 Hz. If a 5% error is still acceptable, that's OK.

Edit: I took some more time to explore a solution since a 5 MHz interrupt frequency is an issue.

1/ It's possible to output a 4.94 quasi square wave on a "clock pin", say PWM channel 1 PWMH1

2/ As MartinL suggested, use PWM channel 0 PWMH0 to output 26 signals on a "data pin" at a 4.94 MHz frequency by using this channel as a synchro channel but only with itself (only one interruption after 26 ouput signals), and enable PWM channel 0 and channel 1 at the same time to be synchro.

3/ Once the 26 signals have been sent by PWM channel 1, disable this channel inside the interrupt handler, but keep PWM channel 0 enabled.

I guess after that you will have to decipher a receiving message from the device and attachinterrupt() won't be fast enough to decipher 5 MHz input signals....

Sorry, im not following.

Do you mean something like this?

void setup() 
{
  //pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(24, OUTPUT);

REG_PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                   // PWM power ON

REG_PIOC_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P3;                         // Set PWM pin to a peripheral
  REG_PIOC_ABSR |= PIO_PC3B_PWMH0;                    // Set PWM pin peripheral type B for PWMH0 (Arduino pin 35)

REG_PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(1);    // select Frequency for clock A: Mck = 84 MHz

REG_PWM_CMR0 = PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;      // The period is left aligned, clock source as CLKA on channel 0
  REG_PWM_CPRD0 = 17;                    // Set the PWM frequency 84 MHz/PWM_CPRD = 4941176 Hz
  REG_PWM_CDTY0 = 8;                     // Set the PWM duty cycle = (CPRD/CDTY) * 100 %

REG_PIOA_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P19; // pin 42

REG_PIOA_ABSR |= PIO_PA19B_PWMH1; // pin 42   

REG_PWM_CMR1 = PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKB;     

REG_PWM_CPRD1 = 1;                             

REG_PWM_CDTY1 = 0; // 100%    

REG_PWM_IER1 = PWM_IER1_CHID0;                      // Interrupt on PWM Channel 0 counter
  NVIC_EnableIRQ(PWM_IRQn);                           // Enable interrupt

REG_PWM_SCM |= PWM_SCM_SYNC0; // sync ch 0

REG_PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID0|PWM_ENA_CHID01;                   // Enable PWM channel 0 and 1
}

void loop() 
{
}

void PWM_Handler() 
{

REG_PWM_ISR1;      // Clear status register
  //REG_PIOB_ODSR ^= PIO_ODSR_P27;
  //REG_PIOA_ODSR ^= PIO_ODSR_P15;

REG_PWM_DIS = PWM_ENA_CHID0;

}

weird_dave:
Any chance you could extend the command to accept 32 clocks? You could then use the SPI controller.

I suspect the clock doesn't need to be 50/50, usually the data is sampled on one of the edges (the falling edge in your example would be what I would expect the device to use), as long as the on or off time isn't shorter than 100ns, any method you choose should work.

What methods have you actually used to communicate with the device, and what were the results? Note that if the device samples on the rising edge, the picture of the waveform you think you want, isn't.

The documentation on this signal says that the "Polarity" is positive. I'm not sure what that means.

We have an ancient tester that can test these devices using some obsolete National Instruments card. I probed the data and clock lines on this tester and saw a 5MHz clock signal in sync with the data on a rising edge so i think it samples on the falling edge.

I cannot extend to 32.