Go Down

Topic: Just does not connect to IOTcloud (Read 795 times) previous topic - next topic

pjoacct

Hi,

I have been pulling my hair out. Have loads of experience with arduino but am just unable to get a mkr wifi 1010 to talk to the arduino iot cloud system. Have tried the simple ledswitch sketch that comes with the system but the device only connects to the wifi it never goes on to connect to the cloud server - it just sits there.

I have not done anything to the standard script and have followed the video exactly.

Board is configured and crypto'd as per instructions

The correct THING_ID has been used (I think - where do we find this apart from in source code as other providers give it to you on device registration).

Has anyone else had this with the arduino IoT cloud server?

Is this a port issue on my router?

Am I missing something obvious?

Can someone offer advice?

Many thanks

Pog

endorama

Feb 13, 2019, 10:06 am Last Edit: Feb 13, 2019, 02:12 pm by endorama
Hello,

I'm sorry this is happening to you, we had experienced this multiple times and there are multiple factors that can cause it.

First of all, if you have not done it already, you should update the WiFi chip firmware. Instruction on how to do it can be found in topic Firmware Update 1.2.1 - available now, with BLE mode. (This process currently involves using the Arduino IDE , we are in the process of testing a command line application too).

Then please open the serial monitor and reset the board. Log messages should start appearing, could you paste them here? You can also increase log level to see more messages.

Thanks!

pjoacct

Have done as requested

this is the output

[ 11345 ] WiFi.status(): 3

[ 11345 ] Connected to "XXXXXX"

[ 12346 ] Acquiring Time from Network

[ 12346 ] Network Time: 0

[ 13347 ] Acquiring Time from Network

[ 13347 ] Network Time: 0

[ 14348 ] Acquiring Time from Network

[ 14348 ] Network Time: 0

and it just keeps on repeating this message

Hope this helps you to solve the issue

pjoacct

Feb 13, 2019, 01:51 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2019, 02:06 pm by pjoacct
I have used the wifinina tools and it connects to wifi successfully, and it pings successfully. So not sure what happens with the cloud.

Have deleted the board and recofigured with a new device name and configured from scratch...the online configuration tools stops and says it cannot connect to the wifi, which is a bit weird when it clearly does

Error message from "getting started" online tool in IoTCloud

Error
We couldn't connect to the WiFi network.
Are you sure your WiFi network is 2.4 GHz compliant? Have you entered the correct WiFi name and password? Verify your network settings and upload the Sketch again.
If this problem persists, you may write us on the Forum.

endorama

Feb 13, 2019, 02:17 pm Last Edit: Feb 13, 2019, 02:17 pm by endorama
I'm requesting assistance from my colleagues, hope to be back with more information soon.

To explain what is happening, probably the board cannot get the time from the network ( it uses NTP protocol ) that is necessary for proper authentication ( as authentication uses certificates that have a timestamp, if the board and the server have too much time difference the certificate is not considered valid ).

It could help us to see the sketch attached to this Thing, if you are ok with sharing it.

endorama

Error message from "getting started" online tool in IoTCloud

Error
We couldn't connect to the WiFi network.
Are you sure your WiFi network is 2.4 GHz compliant? Have you entered the correct WiFi name and password? Verify your network settings and upload the Sketch again.
If this problem persists, you may write us on the Forum.
@pjoacct We identified an issue in the getting started application, the error you are seeing is wrong. The proper error should be "Cannot connect to the cloud". This seems to suggest that the getTime is still an issue. We have evidence of this happening a lot with the older firmware, but shouldhave been fixed with the lastest one.

Could you please provide the output of the WifiNina > tools > CheckFirmwareVersion example sketch?

pjoacct

Here you go

WiFiNINA firmware check.

Firmware version installed: 1.2.1
Latest firmware version available : 1.2.0

Check result: NOT PASSED
 - The firmware version on the module do not match the
   version required by the library, you may experience
   issues or failures.

pjoacct

Hi

the sketch I am using is the simple LEDSWITCH example, which is why I am so flummoxed. Presumably this should work off the shelf, just like the hardware does.

P

endorama

Hi,

do you mind trying with the new tutorial published on Project Hub (https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/133030/iot-cloud-getting-started-c93255)?

As this is a step by step tutorial and is guaranteed to work, would help us understanding where the problem lies.

pjoacct

Hi,
I took the device home and it connected on the home wifi straight away!

So i think this maybe a port issue.

To save me digging in and seeing which ports are active and not, and which settings maybe interfering or not can you give me an idea what I should be looking for. This may be of assistance to other users.

P

endorama

Endpoint for connection is mqtts-sa.iot.arduino.cc on port 8883

I know documentation is still lacking, and we are working on it!

Based on your feedback and this issue we are working on a diagnostic sketch able to check individual point of failures to aid in development. So thank you and sorry for the troubles   :smiley-red:

tdegussem

I had a similar issue.
The MKR 1010 was able to conenct to the wifi, but got not passed the " Connecting to Arduino IoT Cloud..."

I checked firewall settings, wifi, ...

I updated the firmware via the Nightly IDE, and updated the wifi Firmware + updated the SSL certificates.
After this, I was able to connect to the Arduino cloud..

jonathanjennings

I have an Arduino Uno that I can't get connected / detected to IoT but it will connect and works fine with Arduino app on the PC.  Anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Go Up